Fuji Definitive Conclusion on Radio Trigger Options on Fuji X100(s)

drewbot

Regular
After doing some research, I could not find a lot of definitive answers regarding radio triggers for the Fuji X100s.

What I am envisioning is using a radio trigger mounted on the X100s, and syncing with a flash (Yongnuo YN-560 III).

I understand that radio triggers may not allow to sync faster than of 1/500s, however, some users indicate some success up to 1/2000s.

Anyone using this set up with their X100s? I don't want to use a cord or optical trigger if I don't need to. The cord can be somewhat flimsy and is limited by length, and the optical can be iffy outdoors or in certain setups.

Any help is appreciated.

if you want something better than a flash commander setup, have you looked into transceivers? yongnuo makes their own for cheap, and i like how you can reverse them around.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

My Yongnuo YN-560 III's have a built in receiver for the Yongnuo RF-602/3 trigger. However, I've read it cannot sync wirelessly faster than 1/500s.

One of the benefits of the X100s' leaf shutter is the fast sync speeds and I would like to take advantage of it.

so long as whatever camera supports HSS, the yongnuo 622 (canon/nikon) trigger/receiver will sync up to 1/8000s, wirelessly. you're going to need two units, however.

i'm trying to find info for non-canon/nikon usage.

i follow a certain person's camera blog. he's used the x100s with off-camera flash. let me see what he's using.

from that, it seems the Wein would be the way to go since you already have the 560 III. actually, it looks like any decent tranceiver will work fine. how fast are you wanting to shoot?

i have the yn 560ex, myself. i've been wanting to pick up a pair of the yongnuo tranceivers sometime. but if i end up picking up an einstein e640 sooner than later, then i'll probably choose to pick up a cybersync tranceiver from paul c buff instead.

i'm actually enjoying my ef-x20 i picked up earlier this week.

I was hoping to dim the sky with a fast shutter speed and use the strobe to fill in the subjects.

It looks like many users are getting 1/1000s with any generic radio trigger, which should be perfectly fine. I was just hoping to maximize the full potential of 1/4000s with radios.

1/1000 brings the ambient light down just fine.

what's the fastest you can shoot with your 560 III? with my ef-x20, i can shoot 1/4000 between f8 and f16 in commander mode.

Update: I tried out my SMDV Flashwave III's (also called Impact PowerSync) and it syncs no problemo at 1/1000s. Still need to find out how to sync faster (if possible, or really needed).

I have a fujifilm x-e2 and was able to fire my Yongnuo 568EX II flash with 622C wirelessly up to 1/4000th of sec at all apertures. I am still waiting for Yongnuo to let me know which slave flashes are good to have as part of my off camera flashes set. I haven't checked to see if the setup was TTL or not. Also I am waiting to learn more about 622C TX so that I can do remote flash ratio since Fujifilm X-E2 doesn't have the function built into the camera.

Back