Micro 4/3 Decision made!

Mike G

All-Pro
Name
Mike Gorman
Well chaps I finally made a decision and the first tranche of Fuji gear is waiting for a trade in offer from WEX, an X-H1+battery grip combo, Fujinon 10-24mm, 50-200mm, EF 20 flash and two rectangular Fuji metal lens hoods! They will finance the Panasonic Leica 12mm f1.4 lens!

The next lot of stuff to go will be Fujinon 16mm, 23mm and 56mm lenses.

Finally making the decision is kind of liberating.

I’ve been watching the YouTube videos by a British chap called David Thorpe, his non histrionic reviews are easy to watch as he covers most M4/3 equipment that I ever heard of! really quite good I find!

So I’m thinking that the itch has been scratched!

PS I forgot that my 18-55 is also going!

Last edited:
Mike , I’ve also been toying with idea of going back to micro four thirds. But nothing as heavy as the XPro2 and 16 mm. I’m thinking small . Perhaps an Olympus em5 plus prime. I’m not particularly bothered by megapixels any more .

Ha! I beat you lot. I wanted to switch to Fuji, but was too lazy to do it. I still use m43. Ditto on the size and simplicity. I love my GX9 with 20 and 42.5 setup (and the lazy 14-140 that sometimes comes along). My EM1 with large pro zooms is only used when the occasion requires it. The Pen-F and premium lenses (12-17-45-75) is my favorite camera, but since the 20 is my favorite focal length and works better on Panasonic, it gets used too little. I should probably do a little clearing myself.

This is inspiration for me - except that I am more lazy. I'm eyeing the new Lx100ii as I really don't like changing lenses. I don't have much current kit to sell, so will have to figure that out ;)

Wow, that's a lot of gear going out the door for 1 lens! But 12mm 1.2 ought to be a lot of fun, do post here!

I've been fantasizing about a rugged (preferably waterproof) camera that's somehwat lighter and smaller than my x100, but still has good controllability, and with a fast 35-40mm equivalent lens... I think you can seewhere this is going: I might be in trouble if Panasonic brings out a weather sealed gx9-type camera!

I’ve been watching the YouTube videos by a British chap called David Thorpe, his non histrionic reviews are easy to watch as he covers most M4/3 equipment that I ever heard of! really quite good I find!

I find Thorpe's videos very helpful. As you mentioned, he doesn't shout, which is rare on youtube these days.

David Thorpe

I’ve gone back and forth beteen Fuji and Mu43 a few times. I like Fuji’s cameras but the look of the output (for what I shoot) is not completely to my taste. Best of luck this time with mu43.

I find the E-P5 and the 20mm Panasonic has been a great combo for the Single in October! I was actually thinking about watching for a nice used Pen F.

Last edited:
I sold off all of my Fuji gear which was a big call, especially with those 35 & 16 F1.4 "God" lenses and those x-trans files which I actually like. Also got rid of all my m43 gear, including the Oly 75mm, another "God" lens. Thing is, as long as you don't use it often, getting rid of gear is never as painful as you'd think. Plus, someone will always pay for it. Even got a buyer for my old Canon S95 compact.

I sold off all of my Fuji gear which was a big call, especially with those 35 & 16 F1.4 "God" lenses and those x-trans files which I actually like. Also got rid of all my m43 gear, including the Oly 75mm, another "God" lens. Thing is, as long as you don't use it often, getting rid of gear is never as painful as you'd think. Plus, someone will always pay for it. Even got a buyer for my old Canon S95 compact.

Can I ask where you sold? I'm needing to sell, too, and I keep putting it off because I want to deal face to face, and not have to post stuff.

Can I ask where you sold? I'm needing to sell, too, and I keep putting it off because I want to deal face to face, and not have to post stuff.
Sure Sue, I just snapped pictures of my gear on the phone and posted on Gumtree. About 80-85% of the gear was sold that way. Re selling face to face; no one ever came to my house, I always met the buyers at work. But over half of the gear sold was posted, so it made the sale process much quicker. I really would set up a Paypal account now if you haven't got one already. I wouldn't worry about posting stuff, Australia Post are great and assisting. Any gear that wasn't sold in say 2 - 3 weeks got posted on eBay and eventually found buyers. It took less than a month for everything to go.

Sure Sue, I just snapped pictures of my gear on the phone and posted on Gumtree. About 80-85% of the gear was sold that way. Re selling face to face; no one ever came to my house, I always met the buyers at work. But over half of the gear sold was posted, so it made the sale process much quicker. I really would set up a Paypal account now if you haven't got one already. I wouldn't worry about posting stuff, Australia Post are great and assisting. Any gear that wasn't sold in say 2 - 3 weeks got posted on eBay and eventually found buyers. It took less than a month for everything to go.

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say that (about Gumtree). I have sold on there in the past but for some reason got nervous about it all. I'll do it again. Already have a paypal account, had it for years. I'll do gumtree, face to face, cash in hand. Posting... I get too nervous about the possibility of scammers, so I definitely prefer face to face (at the local caf) and cash. They see what they are buying, and I see the money up front.

I'd better set to and photograph my Pentax gear, N1 gear, and a few compacts. I'm planning an extreme change... just havent decided which way to jump yet.

Back