December Doodads - Day Nine

11283652643_5a91afee31_c.jpg

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

It's now the coldest it has been in over a decade This early into winter in central California. Much of the citrus crops are dying off weeks before they were ready to harvest, especially the tangelos, cuties and halos style mandarin oranges people love in the winter.

Let's hope the winter comes with enough rains to help ease the 4 year drought.

11283652643_5a91afee31_c.jpg

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

It's now the coldest it has been in over a decade This early into winter in central California. Much of the citrus crops are dying off weeks before they were ready to harvest, especially the tangelos, cuties and halos style mandarin oranges people love in the winter.

Let's hope the winter comes with enough rains to help ease the 4 year drought.

Beautiful photo, awful weather report. In So. Ill, some farmers have given up on peaches entirely (the consistent problem there was a late frost when the peaches were blooming) and at least one cut down all their peach trees except the late bloomers and grafted from those. It's heartbreaking to loose a crop. And a long drought on top of it! Here's hoping you get plenty of rain. And the right kind of rain - slow, that soaks in gently.

Lovely lighting, and just enough detail for those "in the know." I did a double take, said, "That looks like a post box - an older one" and was delighted to get down to the title and see I was right. I feel like a real world traveller now!
If I get back to England often enough I want a "complete set" going back to Victoria - I've heard there are a few of hers around still.

Yes, you still see occasional post boxes with VR markings. I guess the age of a post box generally reflects the age of the surrounding houses, so Victorian post boxes will crop up in towns with streets of Victorian houses.

There were a lot of 1930s houses where I took that shot, so that will be G for George V or George VI.

-R

Yes, you still see occasional post boxes with VR markings. I guess the age of a post box generally reflects the age of the surrounding houses, so Victorian post boxes will crop up in towns with streets of Victorian houses.

There were a lot of 1930s houses where I took that shot, so that will be G for George V or George VI.

-R

Thanks for the explanation.... for a minute i thought you painted and tatooed a Ricoh:D

Back