Pentax Couldn't resist (the K-01 is surprisingly awesome)

JJJPhoto

Regular
The bargain prices for the K-01 are just too good for this ex-Pentaxian to pass up even though I think the K-01 looks hideous and it is known to have slower AF than my E-M5.

The reason that I couldn't resist is that I still have fond memories of using the Pentax Limited primes and some of my photos from back then just have a character that I haven't been able to replicate from my Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, Sony and Canon gear in the years since. I've captured some great images with the other gear, but the old Pentax shots just pull at my heart strings more.

Anyway, the K-01 arrived yesterday and I've been pleasantly surprised. I updated the firmware and messed around with the 40mm ... a nice combination. I also found that the ergonomics make PERFECT sense if you hold the camera like an old medium format film camera with a waist-level viewfinder and vertical shutter release. In other words, cradle the K-01 in your hands so that you can press the shutter button on the K-01 with your thumb and not your index finger. Suddenly the green and red buttons are easier to press and the bottom right rear corner of the camera doesn't cut into your hand.

Here are a couple of the first images that I took with my new K-01 and 40mm:

IMGP0018-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMGP0022-XL.jpg

Armanius, you only thought I had a K-01 already because I have 100 other cameras.

I have a disease. ;) ... :(

On a brighter note, I recently sold 4 cameras and six lenses that I don't use anymore and I'll probably sell a few more of my older cameras and lenses before the end of the year so I'm not buried under camera gear.

Is it possible for you to post a photo of what you mean about how you hold the camera? I've never had a medium format camera so I'm finding it hard to visualise how you hold the K-01.

This is a remarkably comfortable way for me to shoot with the K-01 (although I do have large man hands).

i-PnD9Lmc-L.jpg

i-GPLpqCT-L.jpg

It's "similar" to how I used to shoot with an old beat-up Hasselblad 500C back in college. I found this image of a Hassy shooter after a quick Google search.
Hold fast to dreams | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I usually just held the shutter release cable against the camera body to prevent camera shake ... and I never looked this cool (or had such an attractive assistant) when I was shooting a 500 back in college:

When the K-01 first hit the market (and the Q as well, for that matter) I never would have thought I'd own one. Ratchet forward the better part of the year with prices dropping like a rock and I picked up a black one for $319. The camera is a total blast. And with firmware updates improving auto focus and adding focus peaking, it's even more fun. The secret is to know when to use the K-01. It's perfect for family gatherings indoors or even outdoors, if the sunlight isn't too bright for the rear LCD (the only real flaw worth mentioning). I use my DA Limited primes almost exclusively on the K-01 these days. The K-01 with the DA 21, 40 and 70 Limiteds is almost a perfect kit. A camera with K-5 image quality for $300? A no-brainer! Congratulations on your purchase.

This is a remarkably comfortable way for me to shoot with the K-01 (although I do have large man hands).

i-PnD9Lmc-L.jpg

This is how I most often operate a camera, although it tends to work best with a tilting or articulating screen so that you can hold the camera in close to your body for better stability. What makes it even better is if the camera has a finger dial in front of the shutter so that you can still make changes (Exp Comp, for example) while your thumb is either poised over the shutter button or even after you have half-pressed it to focus.

Back