Fuji Could the X20 fit the bill for me instead of the X100S?

rpavich

Veteran
I must admit, I'm not up on all of the in's and out's of the compact cameras let alone the Fuji line itself so I need some help.

I have been hankering for an X100S and waiting for them to be available, and eventually for a price dip if possible.

But while I was waiting I became aware of the X20 and wondered if it would fit the bill for me..so if I tell you what I LOVE about the X100S...can you tell me how those particular features compare to the X20?

1.) I love the Hybrid viewfinder. I love having clear glass and the info overlaid on it. None of that "shutter blindness of a DSLR.

2.) I love the split focusing.

3.) I love the file size.

4.) I love the image quality.

5.) I love the "manual" controls.

6.) I love the high ISO capability.

Now some of these things I kind of know, but some of it is murky for me.

If anyone has had both, can you give me an idea of if you think that the X20 would make a good alternative given my list of loves of the X100S?

Haven't owned both but I can tell you that the X20's viewfinder is a tiny peepsight comparatively but still has active overlays. Not even close to the X100/X100S though in terms of information I don't think. Still, I was looking at it and it wasn't bad at all for a compact.

I'm sure the X100/X100S excel in the image quality department, especially at higher ISO -- but for instance I had some great results out of an LX7 which had a tiny sensor so it is possible to get great shots with care and within certain limitations. Your expectations should "scale" to the camera you choose and your use of it adjust to its limits.

Really can't comment otherwise. Sorry, I know you said people who have owned both but I can't resist offering an opinion, lol.

Haven't owned both but I can tell you that the X20's viewfinder is a tiny peepsight comparatively but still has active overlays. Not even close to the X100/X100S though in terms of information I don't think. Still, I was looking at it and it wasn't bad at all for a compact.

I'm sure the X100/X100S excel in the image quality department, especially at higher ISO -- but for instance I had some great results out of an LX7 which had a tiny sensor so it is possible to get great shots with care and within certain limitations. Your expectations should "scale" to the camera you choose and your use of it adjust to its limits.

Really can't comment otherwise. Sorry, I know you said people who have owned both but I can't resist offering an opinion, lol.

Well...you've helped. Just knowing that the viewfinders' sizes aren't comparable is good information. Thanks.

Have you used DPReview,s image quality compare system? You can select what cameras to compare to with drop down lists and at higher ISO the X20 isn't even in the same league as the X100S or even the X100.

Take a look at this page if it helps.

Fujifilm X20 Review: Digital Photography Review

Check the "Show Preset Positions" checkbox over the reference image and then you can select different parts of the image to compare. You can select ISO, JPG or RAW, and for each of four 100% crop areas you can select different cameras to compare to. A little intimidating at first but it's a great tool. It can be very useful. I selected the X10, X100, and X100S for three of the crops for comparison to the X20.

Still, as compacts go it's a very good camera indeed. You just can't compare image quality to the "big brothers".

Like John , I don't have X20 but you can check a review of X20 with raw images & comparison to X10 and RX100:
X-20 Review @ quesabesde (translated)

See the size comparison of these cameras with Fuji X100s and Sony nex-6, RX1:
Compact Camera Meter

Here is a dof comparison of compacts, I think X10 and X20 has similar lenses:
Graph.jpg

You have to check if these pass your IQ tests. I added Sony nex-6 as another option as it is not much bigger then X20. I don't know if you consider that but it has apsc size sensor with excellent high iso and dynamic range and you can get that used for $600:
Used Sony Alpha NEX-6 Mirrorless Digital CameraNEX6L/B B&H Photo

Please think hard before getting the X20 the jpeg engine is so smeary that it's quite unacceptable to me.
The funny thing is that images from RAW files come out just fine with bags of detail.
I've been looking at this guy's efforts with the X20 and at original size the water colouring effect seems even worse than I remember so there may be some PP but it illustrates what to look for.
North Berwick - a set on Flickr

The X100S is worth the wait.

Please think hard before getting the X20 the jpeg engine is so smeary that it's quite unacceptable to me.
The funny thing is that images from RAW files come out just fine with bags of detail.
I've been looking at this guy's efforts with the X20 and at original size the water colouring effect seems even worse than I remember so there may be some PP but it illustrates what to look for.
North Berwick - a set on Flickr

The X100S is worth the wait.

Thanks..I guess that's it...those were pretty bad. I also noticed that he did a pretty good amount of sharpening...

By contrast, when I had the X100S before (with the exception of close up) the files didn't need a ton of sharpening. My current camera; the RX1 needs none..zero, even on raw files I've frequently just sharpened 20%...very lightly.

Some old bloke wrote this, I don't know if it's of any help

The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to ... new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it.

Some old bloke wrote this, I don't know if it's of any help

The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to ... new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don't know what to do with it.

Hmm...not sure what it has to do with the decision of whether the X20 would be comparable to the X100S...so it really doesn't help much.

Well, after weighing all the factors and looking over spec sheets...I decided to order an X100S. The sting of the extra cash won't last as long as the disappointment of getting something less than I really wanted.

Good to hear. I am somewhat in the same quandary. I want the x-100s, could sell a toy today and get the X-100 by mid next week. But I think I am holding out. Will sell the toy when I have the other $350 towards the X-100s instead. And maybe some day they'll be in stock...

Good to hear. I am somewhat in the same quandary. I want the x-100s, could sell a toy today and get the X-100 by mid next week. But I think I am holding out. Will sell the toy when I have the other $350 towards the X-100s instead. And maybe some day they'll be in stock...

I hear ya...I can't believe that there is still such a long waiting list for these!! Are they only making one a day? :D

^ Yeah for only $100 off I don't think I'd go used.

Now a very good condition X100 for around $700 is a disgustingly good deal. That camera provides so much more than $700 worth of goodness - both in image quality and user experience. [/soapbox]

Back