Nikon Coolpix A in transition?

I'm actually having a bit of crisis here. There's little point to keeping the A and the X100s, but i'm debating selling the Fuji. The A works fine and since I don't really do MF the clip on OVF I have is fine. I find the IQ similar. The real advantage of the A is that it's smaller and I'm more likely to take it with me.

I'd actually keep the X100s and if different focal lengths are something you want in the future, there is the wide and tele converters to consider.

I can't imagine ever buying another camera.

Since that post, I scooped up a used DP3M. But now I'm done. Seriously.
:oops:
And really that was more like getting a new lens. It was a focal length I didn't have. I still can't imagine buying another camera.
No problem - I just assumed that first post was just a typo - you left the "N" off of "never".

I can't imagine the camera I might buy next at some point, but to your point, I absolutely can't imagine NEVER buying another camera. At some point I will. Probably no-time soon, but who the hell knows. I certainly am wrong in these types of statements far more often than I'm right...

-Ray

I still can't imagine buying another camera.
No other camera I can think of has given me heavier bouts of GAS, read numerous clinicial symptoms of complete madness than that bl..dy X100S(T) - the black version.
This has been going on for about a year or so. Right now it'd take me less than one hour to put an end to that silly mind game but NO.
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! (anyone remember Ben Kingsley in 'Sexy Beast', the kitchen situation ? :D)
NO! :D
Anyway, day X moves dangerously close and I rather waste my money on a camera I don't really need than 10 or more times the cash on some batshit therapy sessions.

Well, as supplies of the $399 Coolpix A dwindled and as the rumors continued to swing between the end of the line or replacement with a 24mp sensor that will be slightly better for detail and DR in good light and probably slightly worse at DR and noise in low light, I decided to pick up one of the last of the $399 blowout cameras. B&H is out, Amazon prices have gone back up, and I had to call around and find a couple of brick and mortar stores with one or two left on the shelves at $399. I've just never found a small pocket camera that has the combination of IQ and perfect focal length (for me - 28mm is just a sweet spot) and interface/controls. For ME, it's the most perfect street camera I've ever used and I can't imagine another one being set up more to my liking. My original is showing no signs of giving up the ghost anytime soon, but this is a camera I simply would not want to be without, so a second copy seemed to be in order. If someone comes out with something I like a lot better in the next few years, the second one may never see the light of day, but if not, having this one is relatively cheap insurance. Plus, now I didn't pay $1100 for the first one - I paid $750 each! So if it was originally overpriced at $1099 and the GR was the "right" price at $799, now both of these Coolpix A's were also the "right" price. Jeez, all the money I just saved myself!

There's an outside chance I'll regret this someday, but I don't think I'll regret it very much, at worst. And, at best, I'll be very very glad I did it...

-Ray

I did finally sell the X100S. I always grabbed the A so there was no point in keeping both. Slow AF aside, I just really like this little camera in terms of use and output AND it fits in my pocket.

It's interesting, we all have different priorities I guess. I replaced my broken Coolpix A with a Sony RX100ii. I lose out on IQ but gain faster AF and AF that works better in low light. I always had a hard time getting the A's focus to lock indoors.

So now I have a Nikon DF-CP1 28mm Finder and a Nikon WU-1A Wireless Adapter to sell, anyone want a great deal? I should get around to putting an add in the classifieds later.

-Thomas

The Coopix A is terrific because of its size, build quality and features. The AF is a little slow. The little grip bar looks foolish, but I find any grip help is needed for my larger hands. If a new one does come out I hope they speed up the AF, but if they add bulk by adding a viewfinder or a moveable screen I would pass. The biggest advantage of the camera is that you will take it with you, it will be at hand when you want it.

Back