Confusion - a personal view

There are some outstanding lenses from various manufacturers, not just from Leica, Zeiss, and CV. I probably have more lenses for cameras than most people.

Geeze Bill, now I'm confused.
I use the GF1 with the 14 & 20 and thought they were great lenses.
Now I'm unsure. To be honest, I have many Leica lenses in storage. Why? Glad ya asked.
I know that those lenses are simply the best of the best.
If I started to use them, I would once again want an M body.
So far for me, the M bodies are not there yet.
So, I let the lenses sleep.

Does this decision effect my working and images? No!
The GF1 is very responsive to my desires. The 20 & 14 give me the spread in FOV that makes sense to me.
I have absolutely no interference from the camera or lenses. I can't say the same for the M8's I had.
So image wise, no camera or lens ever failed it's mission.
If the shooter blames his gear for an unsatisfying experience, well, time do look in the mirror.

When I first got into photography as a kid and ran about with a Contax II and an 50mm f2 prime, I used to guess exposure and get good shots most of the time. All I had to play with was aperture and shutter speed. Life was simple. Now I have cameras that can change everything but the weather, and photography seems ten times more complicated and I have photo angst. I came back to photography three years ago after not doing anything for twenty years, and it's been overwhelming at times just understanding how to get half-decent results some of the time. I'm not knocking digital, it's just so much to learn. Having said all that, I've ended up with my camera in aperture priority almost all the time, and doing an absolute minimum of post-processing, so it's not that much different from my glorious youth really. I've decided to make the technical side as simple as possible, and try to learn composition!

I do not think it fair to equate a good image with the best lenses. It depends on the image that you are trying to acheive, knowing what you want to portray in an image. My favorite lenses are from the 1930s, hardly the best lenses ever made. But they give me the image that I like.

On the EP2, I like the Nikkor 5cm F1.4 in Leica Mount. Sonnar formula, gets to 18".

The M8 spends most of its time with an An Uncoated Zeiss Jena 5cm f1.5 Sonnar.

Just bought the Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.1 and Nokton 35/1.2 this week. We'll see how they compare with the Canon 50/1.2 in LTM. I still prefer the look that I get from the 1930s Sonnar, with all of its imperfections. The perfect combination of imperfections.

Back