Samsung Concert (EX1 ISO 800 and ISO 1600)

snake

Veteran
I recently went to see Dark Fortress (a black metal band from southern Germany) in Berlin. I knew the show would be darkly lit, making ISO 800 and 1600 mandatory. The results were better than I expected. Unfortunately, ISO 800 made for still too-short shutter speeds, but I was still able to plan according to the lights and use 1600 from time to time, with the expectation of making a black and white set to better tailor the noise.

Almost all done in LR, with some done in LR+SFX. I have some color ones on the way which turned out quite well. I also had my Olympus e510 with a Konica f1.7 50mm lens. Of course, in a club setting, 50mm is insane on 4/3. I got a couple keepers, but it wasn't easy.

I think I'm going to go back and tweak some of the pics for better ambience, but for now, not bad.

The band is very dynamic, so getting extremely sharp pics was difficult with such slow shutter times (even in 1600). However, I applied a few PP techniques, including double pass in LR with sharpness and clarity, along with adding control points in SFX on top of that.

<iframe frameborder='0' height='540' width='100%' src='http://min.us/mWSxPTKdN#1e'></iframe>

Thanks. Naturally, it would have been great to use 3200, but it's too much of a compromise. Next concert, I will experiment with a few 3200s just to see. Surprisingly, the color variants came out well, but the darker ambience came out better in black and white.

Back