Micro 4/3 Comparing the E-P2 to the E-PL1

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
Over in the Open Gear forum thread https://www.photographerslounge.org...t-has-good-resolution-120/index2.html#post403, Dunkeld asked a question that I think deserves a new thread, so I've copied the first response here, in hopes of kicking off more conversation.

Dunkeld wrote "So how does the EP-L1 compare to the E-P2? Does the EP-2 warrant the extra cost?"

The optics and sensor are the same. But the E-PL1 has a popup flash that is missing on the E-P2. If you buy the accessory flash for the E-P2, you have to take off that great EVF to install it. The same EVF is available for the E-PL1 but can be used while doing flash photography. And a cool trick - you can easily pull back the little E-PL1 popup flash with a finger so it points upward, allowing easy bounce flash, and this works well!

E-PL1 negatives: lower resolution on the display (not a problem if you use the EVF), and no adjustment wheel. So you press buttons more. I've gotten used to the interface so I'm not bothered, but I think that's the main advantage of the E-P2.

The E-PL1 has a slower shutter speed maximum, too. It goes up to 1/2000 while the E-P2 ranges to 1/4000 - thus far this has not been a problem for me.

I find the E-PL1 slightly better when using manual focus lenses. Theres not so much button pushing. I prefer the E-P2 for handling, but thats a personal thing. I just like "flatter"
cameras.

Design wise I think the E-P2 has some lovely features, the recessed mode selector, thumbwheels rather than button pushing.

I also find the video record button in a very inconvenient place on the E-PL1. Its exactly where I hold the camera and I have to adjust my grip.

I wrote a piece on my blog asking the question as to whether the E-P2 is the most beautiful camera ever made, and for me the answer is probably yes.
Doesn't mean anything in terms of image quality, as I can't see any difference between the two, but I like great design and I find the E-P2 a very
aesthetic camera.

I agree whole heartedly, the E-P2 is a masterpiece from an aesthetic point of view! Very nice "industrial" design in that one.

Honestly, I bought the E-PL1 because I was trying to make the PEN a do anything go anywhere camera and felt that onboard flash would be a plus for me. I also think there's something about it that just seems like it works better for me in getting the exposures right. In hindsight, I have to laugh because after I finally got around to buying myself a new MacBook Pro with an up-to-date graphics card, I can now use Aperture so easily whereas before I was struggling...and can't help but wonder if that wasn't one of my main issues with using the E-P2.

In addition, the E-P2 was my first serious digital camera, too, so that adds into the equation as well.

I agree whole heartedly, the E-P2 is a masterpiece from an aesthetic point of view! Very nice "industrial" design in that one.

Honestly, I bought the E-PL1 because I was trying to make the PEN a do anything go anywhere camera and felt that onboard flash would be a plus for me. I also think there's something about it that just seems like it works better for me in getting the exposures right. In hindsight, I have to laugh because after I finally got around to buying myself a new MacBook Pro with an up-to-date graphics card, I can now use Aperture so easily whereas before I was struggling...and can't help but wonder if that wasn't one of my main issues with using the E-P2.

In addition, the E-P2 was my first serious digital camera, too, so that adds into the equation as well.

The E-P2 for me has incredible charm its beautiful to behold the build is excellent, basing it on the original Pen was brilliant on the part of Oly.
Its a camera that is both capable and lovely to behold and you feel good using it, sentimental YES but why not .. it is a Fun Hobby so Enjoy!!

The E-PL1 to me is totally different the compactness makes it instantly grabable
it has flash the same if not better IQ, put any lens on it from kit to ultra zoom and it does not complain.

Put a legacy lens on it and its a champ MF is so easy.

Not a lot of charm but very capable and although the controls are P&S (4 way controller) for settings + menus, still adequate.
If only the body were more original and not so P&S than again in the street you like an ordinary anonymous snap shooter .. Ah little do they know .....;)

Back