Compact Camera for Monster Fest

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
While this isn't my typical kind of thing, I usually join a friend of mine at one of those Monster-Fest, Comic-Con type of events every March. I must admit, it's an entertaining experience. Lighting can be quite varied: from bright flourescent to fairly dim incandescent to mixed source. I typically bring my Olympus E-PM2 with the 17mm f/1.8 on it and get good results while only occasionally resorting to flash. But now, my friend wants to bring something better than his cell phone camera - but he wants something pocketable. I could loan him my Fuji XF1, but that camera requires some involvement and experience to get the best out of it. I could recommend a Sony RX100 but that's probably more money than he wants to spend. So, what might the best and brightest at Serious Compacts recommend for a pocketable compact camera that'll provide reliable auto-focus in marginal-to-good light? The ability to do shallow depth of field is unimportant (and probably would be a hinderance to his getting most shots in focus). I'm sure he's fine with using flash if needed (he'll probably set the camera to auto in these conditions) but I'm sure he doesn't want an overwhelming flash. And something with decent automatic white balance (he's not asking for that but I think it's a good idea). Suggestions are welcome.

Olympus XZ-2, Pentax MX-1 or if he doesnt mind having a single focal length (esp after using a camera on his phone) a Ricoh GRD IV (if I was going to something like that, I'd probably take the J1 + 10-30, or my GRD3... or both)

[edit] Or a new LX7... they arent that exy any more, are they? Or perhaps the LF1 which has the same sensor and a longer reach?

The Ricoh PX, very basic...

20110802073524125.jpg

[video=youtube;EP5XPKdX9vY]

The J1 is an interesting suggestion. Frankly, if the deals were for the V1, I'd probably jump on one myself. I know the Nikon 1 has great auto-focus... but does that hold for relatively low light?

The J1 is an interesting suggestion. Frankly, if the deals were for the V1, I'd probably jump on one myself. I know the Nikon 1 has great auto-focus... but does that hold for relatively low light?

AF is as good or better than any contrast based system including Oly. Great flash as well in regard to subject and background exposure.

I was sitting on the sidelines when I read about a twin lens deal for $200. I had conquered my GAS and was quite proud of myself. I also knew that I never keep any small sensor cameras that I buy. I ALWAYS end up selling them at a loss. But this Nikon 1 deal haunts me. I've seen a few decent deals, but I can't justify it unless I can find that twin lens deal for $200 again....and even then, I'd need to think long and hard about buying another camera.

I was sitting on the sidelines when I read about a twin lens deal for $200. I had conquered my GAS and was quite proud of myself. I also knew that I never keep any small sensor cameras that I buy. I ALWAYS end up selling them at a loss. But this Nikon 1 deal haunts me. I've seen a few decent deals, but I can't justify it unless I can find that twin lens deal for $200 again....and even then, I'd need to think long and hard about buying another camera.

Good thing this camera isn't for me! I hear you. I'm finding the way I'm dealing with GAS these days is to hem and haw when I see a good deal - until that deal goes away. The current sales on Fuji's X- E1 are a perfect example. But no one could blame you for picking up a J1 two-lens kit for $200. Just let the rest of us know about it!

If low price and low light are issues, then the E-PM2 with a compact zoom may be the ticket. Or, even cheaper, there are great E-PM1 deals at Cameta. The E-PM1 works up to 1600 with some noise.

Hey Luke, here's a $200 deal on a two-lens J1 kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310872094276

Steve, if my wife finds out.....you're in big trouble. I suppose I shouldn't have ordered that white one....maybe she'll think it's my old white Pentax:rolleyes: I sold off last year.

I'm pleased to have been of service! Happy Valentine's Day! :D

Now... to justify my Fuji X-E1 order that I placed within minutes of your purchase...

Back