Sony Checked out the RX100; Fell in Love With the RX1

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
I was walking from the Port Authority bus terminal in New York to my office on the Upper East Side of Manhattan today. I was a bit early so I dropped in at the Sony store at Madison Avenue and 56th Street. I wanted to check out both the RX100 and the NEX6, which I've never held in my hands before. Before I got to either, I spotted the new RX1 full-frame compact. What a piece! Felt like a Leica in hand, traditional, mechanical aperture ring, EV dial and f/2.0 lens. Weighty, all-metal body. Auto focus seemed snappy enough. Of course, one would be right to say it should feel and work great for $2700. Alas, I'll never buy one; it's simply too dear. The NEX6 and the RX100 were almost disappointing to handle after that. :) But the experience demonstrated to me once again of how strong - at least to me - the appeal is of a metal body and traditional external controls. I'm not saying I will never own an NEX6 or RX100 - or another micro four-thirds camera (I still want a rangefinder styled Pen or GX with a built-in EVF). But something like a Fuji X100 or X-E1 is looking better to me every day.

The RX1 drives a steamroller right over the limits of how much I would spend on one piece of photographic equipment, but if I was to spend the same amount of money on a 135 format digital camera body and a separate high quality 35mm lens I would feel that I was getting better value for money. Weird, huh?

Yeah, many of us are still preprogrammed to analog-era standards. In my case, it's not that I wouldn't pay for the RX1 - I just can't afford it. A pity, really. Just holding the camera puts me in a better mood.

The RX1 drives a steamroller right over the limits of how much I would spend on one piece of photographic equipment, but if I was to spend the same amount of money on a 135 format digital camera body and a separate high quality 35mm lens I would feel that I was getting better value for money. Weird, huh?

Not really. If you take for example a Nikon D700 or D600 + expensive lens you are getting a lot more for your money, the only advantage to the Sony being the size. With the Nikon (or Canon for that matter) you would be getting an integral big bright OVF, faster shutter speeds so you can actually use a fast lens in daylight (this is even a problem for the X Pro where you sometimes can't even shoot at F2.8), you would be able to add additional lenses later if you wanted. Again the only real advantage I would see with the Sony is the size of the camera.

I just got through doing a portrait job this afternoon at a local park. I frequently do it as favor for some friends and would never ask to get paid because well it wouldn't be fun. I shot half of it with the X Pro and half with at D700. I had to use the x Pro at F3.2 for a good bit of the shoot because of the 1/4000 maximum shutter speed. The Nikon had no issues with F1.8. There are a lot of advantages to FF DSLR that somewhat mitigate the bulk. Next week I'm doing something for the local United Way and will only use the D700 because it just delivers the goods without a lot thinking about it. On the other hand the Fuji files are better straight out of the camera. The Nikon requires some futzing around with Photoshop. I am eventually going to sell the Nikon but it really is a great camera. I had a camera shop in Austin offer me a really good price on it. They said a lot people want the D700 sensor because they like the output better than what they get from the D800/600 (no idea why). I think the D700 was still selling for almost $2400 five years after it's release date. Something tells me the Fuji (much as I love it) or the Sony won't even be produced five years after their release date. Just sayin'

Having used compact cameras and FF cameras over the last few years. All the compacts come with some kind of compromises. A FF DSLR has very few besides the size. So no definitely not weird.

Back