Fuji Change of Focus

If it helps, I still use the original X100 -- with all its limitations -- somewhat often. And I don;t grab it because of guilt, or an internal nagging, or anything other than pure want. Sometimes, I WANT that tool. It's still a great tool. I have to imagine that an X100T would be ever so much better.

- It fits in a VERY small bag, or even some large coat pockets. That's #1 for me.
- f2 on tap is almost always useful.
- 35mm effective FOV almost always hits the spot.

That's why Fuji led with this design, and time has proven their assumptions to be correct. But if you don't like where the eyepiece is on the Pro, you wouldn't like it on the X100 series either, no?

Well I joined the Single in January Challenge. If the 35 doesn't get here I'm planning a different approach with the 16 , although since Bobby says it will do portraits there will be at least one in there. That will be one days planning I won't have to worry about.:D

I can shoot right eyed if I have to, or just stick my nose to the back of the camera, and I have a big nose. My nickname all through High School sports was Snout. Hey when they give it you gotta own it. I was the best Snout that ever played Shortstop for my High School lol. But in all fairness I don't think anyone else was ever called Snout.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a similar debate swirling in my mind. The X-T1 is excellent, as are the 23mm F2 and XC 50-230. I haven't had the 35 F2 very long, but I got some very good family pics over the Christmas weekend. That being said, there's a little voice in me that whispers that I have too much stuff. When I was at my grand-daughter's 1st birthday gathering recently, I met a lady shooting candids for my daughter. She was using a small Canon DSLR with what appeared to be a kit lens. She was cradling the gear protectively when not in use, and she mentioned later the camera had been given to her by her late husband. It was her only digital camera and lens, and she was hoping to be able to scrape together enough to buy a wide angle lens. I felt somewhat guilty, as I've bought and sold many cameras and lenses over the past few years. I'm not wealthy, but I've had enough discretionary income that I've taken it for granted. At one time, I had only an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and a 17mm f1.8 lens. It was a nice, compact setup with good IQ. Maybe not Fuji good, but I don't do this for a living. I keep asking myself, when is it enough?

Tony when I first started in digital I had a Pentax K10D, an excellent body, I still love Pentax. But back to the point, I bought a D80, and then bingo the D300 came out. I still own it. At the time it was a masterpiece and is still worthy. I have picked up countless lens and sold and traded, but the combo I have always kept is the D300 and 80-200 2.8. I sold my original 80-200 but bought another shortly there after. Then my wife passed and I didn't shoot for 8 years, but now I have things settled in my mind and love shooting again, except that I have acquired to much gear. 2 T90's, a F100 an Olympus OM2n and a full set of lens to go with each film kit except the Olympus, and of course the Fuji system and the Nikon stuff, which I cuss and love at the same time. I am trying to thin things out and at the same time looking at a 90mm tonight. If the two lens I put up for sale go I'll buy the 90, and say that's the last one , knowing that's a lie. I'm looking for away to give back, but no one shoots film and I'm keeping my digital so I'm thinking of starting a Photography class for seniors and see if there's any interest. I'll be 65 in March so I think this will be my way of giving back if it works. I just feel I need to do something.

I did the SIJ deal a few years back, and I recall that issue... the first week I felt like I got all the "easy" shots, going to / from work, and then things got really hard.

I've done it a few times, and have developed a "coping mechanism".

Divide a sheet of paper into 4. Mark the boxes, Week1-4. Think about what you know about the month ahead; where you will be, what you will do, etc. Think also about the obvious and easy shots, and scatter the fruits of your labours around the four boxes. These are your bankers and easy shots. If you don't use the ones in week one, carry forward to week two and so on.

It gets you through...;)

The 35 f2 got here today. Looks new and light as a feather compared to the 16. So it's on the XT1 now, Saturday will be scout and practice day.
Bill, I like that plan. I'm going to sit down this weekend and draw up some sort of way to organize my shoots. To tell you the truth I only have 4 or 5 ideas that I'm dead set on. So this will help. Supposed to rain Monday and be in the 30's at night for most of next week, so I have to be flexible also. I could probably fill up a week shooting freezing Floridians Lol.

Send those freezing Floridians our way. We're getting our mid-winter cold already, so I'm thinking we're in for a rough Winter. Your comrades will scurry back down I-77 in a heartbeat, and be glad for 30-40 degree temps. In the meantime, I'm planning a couple of Arctic bike rides over the weekend, camera in hand. I usually encounter some interesting things in the woods.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday will have Hi's in the low to mid 50's and lows in the low 30's with a slight possibility of a snowflake or two. I doubt it our cold weather is almost always clear nights with very low humidity. My sciatica is acting up just thinking about it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gorge area of Oregon keeps dancing above and below the freezing line, so we've gone from 4" of snow, to ice, to melted wet roads. I can deal with biking on all of it (studded tires are finally ordered and on their way) but the route keeps changing on me. I had a few days where the walking trail was WAY better than the roads, albeit bumpy from the footprints, and then this morning the trail was too soft, my tires kept breaking through the slush and sliding around. Had to back out, and take the melty wet roads. Forecast is more of the same - rain, sleet, snow. C'mon, new tires, hurry up and get here.

You probably don't see anything like this down in FL:

DSCF1008D.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back