Film Canon ?

Name
Tim Williams
I have come to realize that Canon's are pains in the ass. My Nikon body's never hiccup, but I have sent back 4 Canon bodies in a month. Just having bad luck. Hope my Pentax stuff don't fail, I really love that stuff.

I have a cupboard with 3 or 4 dud camera bodies in it. Mostly Nikon & Olympus. Came to the realisation that it was all about the degree of automation in them. Aperture priority was a great technical advance, but while 70's & early 80's manufacturing was pretty good, the electronics just weren't built to last. Then there seemed to be a tipping point in the late 80's and early 90's when they got the electronics nailed down and reliable.
Same thing seems to have occurred with the use of plastics replacing metal parts - worked fine, but never intended to last 30-40+ years (which is where we're at now).

Now, I tend to stick to fully mechanical bodies or late-stage electronic ones; otherwise I just have to accept that bodies from a particular era of manufacturing are going to have a high failure rate.

Good luck in the quest to find something usable.

Which Canons failed? Mechanical or Electronic?

I had one Canon 7 Rangefinder lock-up on me years ago, CLA'd it- works fine after that.

I have a Canon F1, first version- very nice. Also a Canon EF and FTb- all Black. These are tanks.

I also fit them into Nikon cases made for the F2. Nikon made better cases.

Which Canons failed? Mechanical or Electronic?

I had one Canon 7 Rangefinder lock-up on me years ago, CLA'd it- works fine after that.

I've had 2 T90's go down, electrical, and a F1 was sent to me with a wrinkled shutter. Guess that's only 3. But I'm going to stick with my Local mom and pop store. It will cost more but the peace of mind is worth it.

Back