Canon S100 In Stock at B&H

I am really looking forward to hearing a first hand user review. I was extremely pleased to see it had the 24mm end covered. If I hadn't already decided on the Fuji X10 this would have been extremely tempting due to its size, and more.

BB, one of the downsides of 24 mm and 5:1 zoom is that the S100's minimum aperture at full (telephoto) zoom is f/5.9; that seems awfully limiting to me. I think your X10's f/2.8 at maximum zoom is more appealing, even if you don't have the 24 mm wide angle.

The biggest tradeoff is size vs speed at the telephoto end. The Canon is easily pants pocketable, even smaller than a GRD.

I saw one of these at a Best Buy today. Man, I forget just how flipping SMALL these little Canon's are. They're really amazingly tiny for a quality piece of photo equipment. It looked and felt even smaller than I remember the S90 being, but that probably has more to do with how bad my memory is than anything to do with the S90. I guess I just kept getting better cameras and rationalizing that "they're really not THAT much bigger... But they ARE. If I thought I'd literally keep it with me, I'd think about buying one (or getting a deal on another S90 or S95) just to have it available all the time. I know from past experience that I wouldn't keep it with me though, so I'm not gonna do it. But for someone who would, it's a pretty sweet little package... I was always happy with the IQ from that camera - not the speed (either operational or aperture), but given that you can't have everything it presents a pretty reasonable set of compromises...

-Ray

I guess I just kept getting better cameras and rationalizing that "they're really not THAT much bigger... But they ARE. If I thought I'd literally keep it with me, I'd think about buying one (or getting a deal on another S90 or S95) just to have it available all the time. I know from past experience that I wouldn't keep it with me though, so I'm not gonna do it.

Ray, I've gone through that exact same exercise at least 3 or 4 times and come to the same conclusion as you. I now know I wouldn't keep it with me, so that's that!

My "keep with me" camera has become the GRD3; rides in a belt case, right next to my iPhone 4s. When I think I might need a zoom, the tiny S90 in an Olympus Neoprene Sport Case takes the place of the GRD3. Just can't accept the iPhone as a real camera...

Still mulling over the S100, but unlikely to go that route. S90 is good enough for that opportunistic snapshot, and the GRD3 is just so much fun....!

Back