Canon Canon Powershot A590IS in Yosemite

Prototype

Veteran
Name
Brian
I don't know if the "Fixed Lens" subforum is mainly for gear talk, or if I could post images. Feel free to move if necessary.

If you read my thoughts on the DP1, you might know that my DP1 broke two days before Yosemite. Luckily, my mom had a camera that she let me borrow - her Powershot A590IS. It's an inexpensive camera that runs on AA-batteries. But, it's a Canon compact, so it's still a very good camera and it even has manual controls.

The problem with taking photos during family vacations rather than dedicated photo trips is that the photos are typically taken in the middle of the day, rather than at the edges of the day when the light is almost magical. However, Yosemite is a gorgeous place, no matter what time of the day it is.

Anyway, here are some photos. None of these are straight from the camera - I do edit all of my photos (using the GIMP for all of these). As usual, the images are linked to a larger, noisier version on flickr. Enjoy! :)

You really did an amazing job coaxing great images out of that camera- spot on exposures with beautiful skies. I normally don't make a big deal out of blown out skies because often it's just a matter of white vs. light blue. But the sky is a major part of many of these pics (I especially liike #4!)

Great photographs. I clicked through on a couple of them and, yeah, they start to break down at 1024, but not too badly until you go full size. And it doesn't matter because the beauty of the place and your compositional skills some through very well even at medium to small sizes. Its the photographer, not the camera (unless you really want big prints!) and you've done a fine job here!

-Ray

Finally, Brian!! As you well know, I've been waiting very impatiently for these! Each one is worth its own post. I hope everyone is taking the time to view them via Flickr.

What a trip that must have been! :bravo-009:

Thank you all for the feedback. :)

You're right, Mayank, I should have tried the CHDK, but we didn't bring a computer with us during the trip. However, I did buy the S95 several weeks ago so I finally have a RAW-shooting Canon compact. Ray, I hope you don't fault the camera entirely for the noise - my editing is partly to blame for that. ;)

Beautiful images (A place I never got to see) here the camera is not so important its more the Photographers vision
Well done :cool:

Back