Canon Canon Finally Go Mirrorless

The R1 was ahead of its time, my old one was doing fine with me daughter until she dropped it, all cameras are compromises I just would rather have a faster, even shorter zoom lens than the one on the new Canon,

I know, I still use mine. But frankly speaking, I think this little Canon will deliver better IQ in a much smaller and lighter package.

Lovely camera, a step in the right direction. I know on tele end its slow at lens, but with digic5 and new sensor there is a chance that ISO
compensation will help and at the size of sensor slightly larger than 4/3 dof should be shallow enough.

My preferences would be however:
- f2.8 constant over focal length film equivalent: 24-70mm
- tilt instead of swival lcd and touch sensitive
- no silly tunnel vf at all, instead make it smaller and give optional EVF
- no flash at all, make it slimmer and give an addon flash

6668058915_d03cae6d3a_o.png

Canon finally go "mirrorless" (or something like it)

Really dont wanna call it mirrorless .. without interchangeable lens system, don't know doesnt sound right.

Big sensor compact!

None, the only zoom I am using now on an M4/3 is the 7-14, everything else are primes, besides the X10, the only other zooms are on the big cameras, all of the Canon ones are 2.8 through out or the optical beasts on the really big cameras which really do no count.
One of the issues for me with M4/3 is the f stops of the zooms

If they had even done 2.8 to 4 that might be tolerable for me but ideally it should have been 2 to 2.8

I think you've missed the point of cameras being compact...

No, I did get the point, that is why I like the X10, even the old G10 was not that small, I gave mine away and got the Leica Dlux/Panasonic LX3 at the time, fast lens, small size gave up the longer end of the zoom happily.
This camera is directed at some who wants a smaller Rebel and does not want interchangeable lenses for $800, fine. I just think with all that is happening around them Canon would have been smarter to have made a camera with perhaps a shorter zoom but a faster one, Hey to each his own.
For me Canon has just been slow to respond lately, the new high-end camera has taken forever to launch.

I have a G7 and a G10, and have used them extensively as general purpose and travel cameras. While I enjoy using them, I have sometimes lamented their relatively lower dynamic range and 'richness' compared with large sensor cameras. When I got my Canon 30D, with its 8mp aps-c sensor, the difference was distinctive. Friends remarked that the difference was like that between a newspaper and a glossy magazine. The small sensors never had the same kind of dynamic range and overall 3D quality that the 30D has, nor were the noise characteristics particularly good.

Canon's G1X looks like a solution to those issues. By putting a near aps-c sensor with a lens that is faster than the kit zoom of any manufacturer, it should have image quality greatly beyond a small sensor compact, and ought to be better than the current m43 cameras. I am hoping that it will finally mean large sensor image quality in a G-size body. I can imagine it having some semblance of subject separation at the wide end, much like the Sigma DP1 or Ricoh GXR 28. I can also imagine it having Canon entry level DSLR quality images, which are certainly better than their compacts.

You won't put it in a shirt pocket, and it will only fit in a large jacket pocket, but it will still be smaller than a DSLR, and offer better zoom and aperture range than a smaller m43 camera. In fact, it is only a tiny bit deeper than a Panasonic GX1 and compact X 14-42mm zoom lens. It has a larger sensor, wider starting aperture and longer zoom range, too.

I couldn't use this as my only camera, though. I'd want to supplement it with either a very fast large sensor or film camera (35/1.4 lens) and/or a fast small sensor compact like the GRD III, Canon S90 or Fuji X10. That way I could cover everything from low light and shallow depth of field to very discreet and fast shooting. But it could definitely do as a general purpose camera if the specs are anything to go by.

No, I did get the point, that is why I like the X10, even the old G10 was not that small, I gave mine away and got the Leica Dlux/Panasonic LX3 at the time, fast lens, small size gave up the longer end of the zoom happily.
This camera is directed at some who wants a smaller Rebel and does not want interchangeable lenses for $800, fine. I just think with all that is happening around them Canon would have been smarter to have made a camera with perhaps a shorter zoom but a faster one, Hey to each his own.
For me Canon has just been slow to respond lately, the new high-end camera has taken forever to launch.

Well size wont be significantly compact to other compacts, it would still be compact compare to entery level eos. lens is not fast as fastest zoom, it is still faster and more flexible than kits, and remaining you can catchup with higher iso of the sensor and still get better o/p compared to previous g series.

I still feel what you saying and am going to keep my xz-1 for those lazy/fun times and will try to use its brightest apperture and lowest ISO to get maximum out of it. However, the biggest advantage over EOS system will be faster AF on Live view. Live view on DSLRs no matter how much they tried, still is not working for me. So there are some significant improvements over previous entery DSLR with kit + G series. You can buy just this and still happier than keeping that pair. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, I would love to get 24-70mm FE with f2.8 (ok now even gimme F3.2, i know am compromising) constant in this small shell!

I agree. While I don't want to dump on Canon and will wait to read the formal tests before reaching any final conclusions, right now this camera strikes me as a bit of a desperate move. One gets the impression that the sleeping (or over-confident) giant finally woke up and realized there was a sea change going on and this was the best they could do on a short-term basis.

Hey, maybe it'll deliver incredibly good images or maybe auto focus will be the best on Earth. But I can't help but think the narrow aperture at the long end (which really isn't all that long), will mitigate much of the advantage the sensor is supposed to provide over cameras like the Oly XZ-1 and Fuji X10.

And didn't we lose some direct, external control with the upgrade over the G12? I see a mode dial and exposure compensation dial, but where's ISO? Back to the rear wheel and joystick; no dial on top.

I'll shut up now because we should wait for the tests. But, at first glance, it seems to me that a slightly smaller sensor with a faster (and perhaps longer) lens would have made sense. Given the price, unless we get a huge upside surprise, I just can't see it personally.

I'm with the Penguin guy
Its a Lame Duck
Too many great M43 cams out now with amazing lens choice
Prototype for an ILC camera? I hope so. As for this particular camera, I'm not sure. Micro 4/3 redefined this class and size of camera years ago, and indeed I had a Canon G10 and G11 as a compact before switching across to Olympus/Panasonic. This camera feels like a bit of a tease i.e. here's the first half of the camera you wanted from us...

I'm not inclined to denigrate Canon's new G series flagship model; I'm sure it will have wide appeal. I must say though that Canon's "peeping tube" excuse for a viewfinder doesn't do this camera any favors; it doesn't deserve the extra camera body real estate it occupies. I had a G9 .. very good images but I loathed shooting with it.

And what the heck was Canon thinking with the G1X model name? I sure hope there aren't any dyslexic folks on the forum otherwise it's going to get really confusing here ... G1X, GX1 ???

Just think, if Canon had managed to squeeze a full frame sensor into this new camera, they could have called it the Canon WTF ...... Wide-to-Tele Fullframe. :rofl:

I disagree. This is not aimed at the current MFT market, its aimed at people who dont *want* to change their lenses, and as such, looks very promising.

Essentially I believe this will be true.

For an existing G-series owner living in a vacuum, this camera is a brilliant upgrade. You lose a little bit of telephoto reach which is made up for by being able to crop a higher resolution 14MP image further. Aperture is equal at wide-angle but one stop slower at telephoto. The increase in sensor size and ISO capability will account for that. So, for virtually no downside you get to replace a compact sensor in the G12 with the same sensor found in the current model Canon DSLRs (minus the edges to bring it down to 4:3). Win, win. Against it's competition though, some will prefer to have interchangable lenses, and some will prefer smaller sensors with faster lenses. The G1X needs to find the gap between these extremes, but if the G12 was already successful against this competition given it's specifications, I suspect the G1X will do okay :)

An idea whose time has come ...

Canon have overleaped what Sigma should have done years ago with the DP series, what Sony failed to do with the R1: that is make a large sensor compact body fixed zoom lens camera.
Sorry all you nay-sayers - but this baby is gonna sell because it ticks the boxes for a serious, high quality, fixed lens carry around camera. I am amazed it is not much bigger than the G11 I adored for its build quality and ergonomics, but was always niggled that it didnt match my DSLR for image quality. Well the IQ issue is gone from the samples I've seen. I expect the high ISO and DR will surpass M43 and compare to any Sony NEX.
Wedding photographers will love it!
For anyone who doesnt really want to buy or carry around a long telephoto lens this is the ultimate one camera offering.
For an an active outdoors person this is a winning combo - faster than any 3x kit zoom at the wide end and about the same speed on a slightly extended tele end. The OIS and the extended ISO will more than make up for the minimal extra slowness over a kit lens.

Believe it or not, the compact style "zoom" collar around the shutter button is brilliant for single handed shooting - something even the power zooms from Oly and Panny can't offer.
The optical OVF wont be brilliant, but it is still heaps better than nothing and less bulky and no power penalty compared to an expensive hot-shoe EVF.
I hope the macro performance is comparable to the G12 - if it is then there's another built-in feature that no mirrorless (or DSLR) can offer without the expense of a seperate lens.

As far I can see, this camera is the current king of fixed lens compacts for "one camera to carry around while I am doing things".

But as usual, they make these wonderful "take me with you" cameras, and forget about any weather-sealing. Fortunately it is small enough to fit in a Dicapac plastic cover so it will go underwater for less than $80 and still be able to zoom the lens.

As some others have said - I hope this is the precursor to a new genre of large format serious fixed lens compacts.

My E-P3 may well be up for sale soon ...

^weather sealing would make this such an awesome travel camera! That, and a wider lens - it's easy to crop and make up for lacking tele, but going wider is impossible, and Canon won't offer a wide angle converter... other than those two points, the best jack-of-all-trades in a single package so far!

Battery life of 250 shots is very disappointing for such a seemingly travel-optimised camera though!

I fully expect the G1X to absolutely destroy the X10 in image quality. That big a sensor difference is going to make a huge impact on image quality. Maybe the X10 can hang in there at lowlight tele because the G1X sensor is slow, but at low ISO and wide angle it's not going to be close at all. Unless Canon messed up the G1X lens bigtime.

Canon have overleaped what Sigma should have done years ago with the DP series, what Sony failed to do with the R1: that is make a large sensor compact body fixed zoom lens camera.
Sorry all you nay-sayers - but this baby is gonna sell because it ticks the boxes for a serious, high quality, fixed lens carry around camera. I am amazed it is not much bigger than the G11 I adored for its build quality and ergonomics, but was always niggled that it didnt match my DSLR for image quality. Well the IQ issue is gone from the samples I've seen. I expect the high ISO and DR will surpass M43 and compare to any Sony NEX.
Wedding photographers will love it!
For anyone who doesnt really want to buy or carry around a long telephoto lens this is the ultimate one camera offering.
For an an active outdoors person this is a winning combo - faster than any 3x kit zoom at the wide end and about the same speed on a slightly extended tele end. The OIS and the extended ISO will more than make up for the minimal extra slowness over a kit lens.

Believe it or not, the compact style "zoom" collar around the shutter button is brilliant for single handed shooting - something even the power zooms from Oly and Panny can't offer.
The optical OVF wont be brilliant, but it is still heaps better than nothing and less bulky and no power penalty compared to an expensive hot-shoe EVF.
I hope the macro performance is comparable to the G12 - if it is then there's another built-in feature that no mirrorless (or DSLR) can offer without the expense of a seperate lens.

As far I can see, this camera is the current king of fixed lens compacts for "one camera to carry around while I am doing things".

But as usual, they make these wonderful "take me with you" cameras, and forget about any weather-sealing. Fortunately it is small enough to fit in a Dicapac plastic cover so it will go underwater for less than $80 and still be able to zoom the lens.

As some others have said - I hope this is the precursor to a new genre of large format serious fixed lens compacts.

My E-P3 may well be up for sale soon ...

Yeah... but $800? Viewed in a vacuum, perhaps. But against competition, not so much.

Back