Canon Canon Finally Go Mirrorless

the lens kills any interest I might have had 2.8 as the max and 5.6 on the long end is not good at all, I am sure they did this for the price point more than just the size

My two cents. Let's look at the possible market of this camera. A person with zero knowledge of photography walks into Best Buy and says "hey, I'm looking for something for our next vacation, we're headed to Disney. Currently we have a small point and shoot(not a hardcore compact, but the typical run of the mill compact) but we'd like something more capable and maybe does video but in a small package."

Salesman: Well, you're lucky, we just got the next best thing — this new Canon, you've heard of Canon right.

Buyer: (not really wanting to sound out of touch but maybe his heard of it or perhaps a tv commercial) Sure, I've heard of it.

Sales: Well, this new camera is perfect, its small and compact with amazing image quality just like its bigger brother but wrapped up in here.

Buyer: Wow, are you serious

Salesman: Yup, its new, just came out. Folks were complaining that in order to get quality they needed to lug around bigger more profesional cameras and Canon, took hands into their own hands and gaves us this.

Buyer: wow it looks awesome, metal, great lens, how much

Salesman: well, yup, its all that and more because you buy this one camera and you won't have to buy any more lenses, its an all inclusive package that will grow with you and your family and everyone can use it(he puts on 'P' mode) and fires away.

Buyer: OMG, the quality is unreal

Salesman: Look, he picks up a T3i and shoot a frame, look for yourself, the same quality in a smaller package

Buyer: I'm sold

Sales: here get this kit with tripod, 16mb card, this cool bag and you're all set, enjoy disney

That's this cameras main customer base. If would be a kid at Best Buy with commission I'd sell this like a gold diamond all the time. Would I buy one, not really but I wouldn't mind shooting one though.

But would they pick it up instead of the Nikon 1 though? It's the same target group, people moving up from P&S, but they're going about it completely opposite.

Canon is trying to match the sensor size from a DSLR in a small camera, Nikon is trying to match the focus and shooting speed. I actually think most of the P&S shooters looking to move up would be happier with the J1.

I think the simplicity and the all-in-one approach is incredibly appealing to a lot of people. It seems to have a lot covered from large sensor to HD video to a decent zoom range. I've always wondered how many of the "point and shoot upgraders" are that interested in interchangeable lenses anyway.

On the Nikon comparison I suspect Canon aren't going to be shy about pointing out just how much bigger their sensor is. And on that point, I would imagine that a fairly conservative sized MP count on a sensor halfway between m4/3 and APS-C should deliver pretty impressive IQ and a pretty decent high ISO performance, particularly with the way Canon configure their cameras.

But would they pick it up instead of the Nikon 1 though? It's the same target group, people moving up from P&S, but they're going about it completely opposite.

Canon is trying to match the sensor size from a DSLR in a small camera, Nikon is trying to match the focus and shooting speed. I actually think most of the P&S shooters looking to move up would be happier with the J1.

I agree the Canon sounds like the better deal, but I think the Nikon would suit most families better. They won't really care about the sensor once they start shooting and either will be a big improvement over a normal P&S.

Funny thing about the sensor size. It has exactly the same pixel density as the T2i/T3i sensor, it's just a bit smaller.

This is the camera which will replace entry level dslrs with kit zooms which on still sees a lot. Looks like a good travel camera, an all in one system to me.

I was at a kids birthday party this weekend and there were several Canon G cameras there. All cameras were P&S or phones. I think in its market the G1X will be very popular as I think the G line in general has been very popular.

I understand who the market is, and that most have no clue what an F stop is. But 5.8 at the max is just the wrong to go with this camera, that is over a two stop loss

I suspect you are on the right track and that it will make quite a few manufacturers think "Why haven't we got something like this?" If its a success, then I think large sensor fixed lens compacts could become commonplace. And thats no bad thing.

Makes me wonder. If Panasonic did "the same" ie. cut a 10mp sensor out of their 16mp m43 sensor and kept the LX6 lens 24-90mm but increased to F2.8-4, that would make for a very sexy camera indeed.

I suspect you are on the right track and that it will make quite a few manufacturers think "Why haven't we got something like this?" If its a success, then I think large sensor fixed lens compacts could become commonplace. And thats no bad thing.

I've long said an M43 Olympus XZ-1 would be cool. Well, now that's the Canon.

Interesting camera! I suspect Canon listened to those that said the G series was too big for the sensor! I think they did an admirable job of shoehorning a larger sensor into the not-much larger body and not sacrificing lens speed over the G series. Having yet to have heard of a bad Canon sensor or G lens I think this will do very very well indeed. Interchangeable lenses might be desirable but there is much to to be said for the all-in-one concept.

Built-in 3 stop ND filter. Not quite sure what's it for. Lens is not all that fast that would require a 3 stop ND filter in bright situations. Maybe for long exposure shooting.

The lens would have been much more compelling if it was a 2.8-3.5 or at 2.8-4.

But unlike its biggest competitors X-10, XZ1, and Nikon 1, it has a swivel LCD. Swivel LCD's are great. And bigger sensor.

I think we are one step closer to the ultimate "serious compact" with the G1X. Hopefully, the competition will push the manufacturers to expand the boundaries of innovation. And hopefully, we'll see less incremental improvement approach, and manufactuers will go "all in" from the get go.

I'd like to see the mapping of focal length to f/stop. If it holds open until the very end, that'd be cool, but typically with Canon lenses, they stop down quickly :(

Back