Canon 135 or Oly 75??

wt21

Hall of Famer
I know I'm asking in a compact forum, so maybe I know the answer I'll get, but I'd like to get a longer portrait lens. Start some more candid portraits.

I'm looking at either the Canon 135/2 L for my 5D or the Oly 75/1.8 for my EPL5. They are about the same price.

The Canon is a very nice, very well regarded lens and would give me pretty nice AF for quick shots on moving subjects. It can also take a 1.4 or 2x TC, which makes it very flexible. Some folks say the canon 70-200 2.8 (or even 4.0) are better, as they are more versatile and just as sharp, but they are so large and so light colored, that I don't think I want to go there. I also already have a 70-210 USM zoom which works well enough.

The Oly 75 is also a well regarded lens. The size is the big draw here. With the spring and summer coming up (and a trip to the Caymans in April) it would be nice to have something more portable. The other idea is that I already have a Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5 zoom, whereas I don't really have a strong long portrait lens for m43 (the P100-300 doesnt quite cut it).

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I had the 135L and used it on the 5D. I have the O75mm use it on the OM-D.

I find both focal lengths odd, for how I shoot. The 135, is a bit too long, I prefer a 100mm or 85mm over the 135mm. I find the 75mm, not quite long enough and I would prefer 90mm or 100mm over the 75mm.

Both are extremely sharp. (I don't use extremely lightly.) The 135mm on the 5D will deliver a slightly better bohek, probably more due to the FF sensor (but I really don't know why, just guessing). But, the difference isn't significant, only if you're comparing lenses. Yes, the 135L/5D will provide a shallower DOF, but in my book the difference isn't significant in everyday applications. Overall, I'd get the O75mm because it is less awkward focal length for me than the 135L, therefore it would get more playing time.

Gary

the size alone would seal the deal for me, but then I wouldn't be hauling around a giant Canon. Not sure how you decide on this if you really intend on hauling both set-ups with you. I have used the 75mm and it's a knockout, but I'm sure that Canon is as well.

I had the 135mm and used it on several Canon bodies. It was stellar on all of them. Now I find the 75mm to be possibly a tiny bit better. The Canon will allow shallower DOF of course.

The thing that makes the choice easy for me is that the Canon lens has no IS whereas the 75mm has IS through any Olympus body. On the EM5 the shutter speeds I'm handholding down to are quite silly. 1/30th is perfectly fine in most circumstances.

Gordon

I've only used the 135mm Soft Focus from Canon.. it was a great, sharp lens [until you employed the SF, obviously]. I've heard that the 135 is one of the best Canon lenses. The 85mm 1.2 another.

Back