Canalside, Winter 2013

Paul, I rarely critique others photographs, but I will in this case. You are right, the image works this way round. It seems more comfortable somehow, could it be that since we normally read from left to right the line of the bank and the gunwale of the sunken barge draws the eye naturally into the picture when printed this way round. Some printed languages read right to left, I wonder if a person who reads that way round would feel differently. If not perhaps something else is going on.

Barrie

Its very curious isn't it?

It even feels tonally different to me, though nothing has been changed other than the "flip".

It'll be interesting to see whether the effect persists on paper as well as screen.

Yes I note when cropping that I always seem to place the subject to the right (more often than not)

Part brain, part Left to right reading

it may be different emphasis in other cultures

The other thing about this particular image is that, aside from any considerations of "subject" or the way the lines lay in it, is that in the flipped version there is a clear graduation from shadow to light , left to right.

Well i did

Balance of black is about equal (ish) Original has a sort of tension Flipped is more soothing in comparison

Back