Samsung Can Samsung NX Cameras Take Pictures While Shooting Video

hunyuan7

Hello: Can Samsung NX cameras take pictures while the camera is shooting video? If they can, do you know if taking the photo will interrupt the video shoot. Any insights would be appreciated.

I asked a similar question regarding Olympus cameras on the sister site mu-43. I am just gathering information on a camera capability that I find important because I am considering a second camera body to my current Panasonic G3.

I just tried it with my NX300. Pressing the shutter button to try and take a picture while recording a video stopped the video, and no picture was taken. So apparently on an NX300, all pushing the shutter button while recording does is stop the video.

I just tried it with my NX300. Pressing the shutter button to try and take a picture while recording a video stopped the video, and no picture was taken. So apparently on an NX300, all pushing the shutter button while recording does is stop the video.

Thanks for trying and the information. I am looking to change up my camera kits, but my camera has to be capable of taking pictures while shooting video and that video cannot be interrupted. I am intrigued by Samsung because, in particular, the NX300 and NX2000 are (1) lighter than my Panny G3, (2) have a bigger sensor than my G3, (3) have smaller primes in focal lengths less than 90mm (in 35mm equivalents), and (4) have newer technology. There are some drawbacks with the G3, which I won't get into now.

Moreover, I am of the belief that the more aperture blades there are in a lens, the more attractive the out of focus rendition is: I was targeting the Samsung 45/1.8 2D/3D because it has nine aperture blades and would have been the Panaleica 25/1.4 that I never got. Anyway, I have to rethink my personal camera kit regarding the shorter focal lengths, but I may just purchase the NX300 + 45/1.8 2D/3D because this combo is still cheaper than the Panaleica 25/1.4. :)

I'm a Canon shooter for events or paid stuff because of the reliability of speed (AF/buffer/AF tracking) and external choices such as flashes/triggers/3rd party options, but I've been building out a Samsung kit for personal use because of the small size/weight. I have the 30, 45, and 12-24. Once I get the 16-50pz my travel kit will be set and the 12-24 will be the largest lens in my bag.

Samsung's 16-50S is intriguing but the upcoming NX1 and 50-150 2.8 are much more interesting to me as a viable and potential addition to my working kit. The 85 1.4 is already a professional level lens performance wise :)

I never even considered the 45 3d version. I couldn't see enough difference in IQ to spend more over the regular 45. I really like Samsung's small primes but wish they would get a little faster by 1/2 a stop or more if possible :)

I'm not sure if it's possible in any of the modes but you can take a picture from the video you take. So if t=you see something in the video you want to freeze and be made into a frame, you can do it during playback from the camera but not sure at what resolution.

Back