camera regained?

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Been contemplating my GAS recently - and I know I am in good company here :tomato2:. I was mulling over some of the cameras I miss and some I even regret selling. I think this is pretty natural as GAS finds you looking so far ahead that you don't see (let alone appreciate) what's in front of you. I'm getting better with my purchases - I feel I've reached a plateau - yeah right…now I want (nay "NEED") MF film :blush:. Anywho, then I got to thinking whether I'd go so far as to re-buy any of my past exploits. A few did come to mind - namely the Fuji Klasse and Leica M for film P+S and lenses such as the PL25, FA31 and ZM 35/2.8 - cracking bits of glass.

Having said, to date the only camera that I sold and re-bought is the little Olympus mju-ii (Stylus Epic), not so much out of desire but out of tripping over an absolute bargain - and having sold the first for absolute profit :blush: OK I've reentered Pentax dSLR but that doesn't really count as I have a more modern body and none of the same lenses.

So how about you, any camera you've regained?…and that you are willing to admit ;)

I tried dumping my Canon FF DSLR for about 3-4 years. Gave up, and still have the 6D. I'm not missing anything at the moment, though.

I re-bought a Canon EOS 450D about two years after selling one because I was processing some older images and remarking over how crisp and sharp the files from the camera were (in it's day 12mp was a big number and it was renowned for a light AA-filter). Once I had the second copy it quickly became apparent that I already had a couple of cameras that were at least as crispy and being mirrorless had a bunch of other advantages besides. Bye, bye 450D (for the second time).

Incidentally, one of those other cameras I mentioned was an Olympus E-PL1 which I have had similar pangs of nostalgia for since but have thus far resisted.

I'll bite, a couple of years ago I had a Nikon 1 V1, with an FT-1 adaptor and 85 1.8 lens. really enjoyed it and kept looking at the pics I took. In the past year I've had a Sony RX1, Leica M9/50lux, Leica X1, X2, Sigma DP-3, Canon Ds1 MkII. Guess what, I have one camera, a Nikon 1 V1 with a 32 1.2, 18, and FT-1/85mm.
My theory is, if I can't get a decent picture out of the little Nikon, I shouldn't be doing this.

I'll bite, a couple of years ago I had a Nikon 1 V1, with an FT-1 adaptor and 85 1.8 lens. really enjoyed it and kept looking at the pics I took. In the past year I've had a Sony RX1, Leica M9/50lux, Leica X1, X2, Sigma DP-3, Canon Ds1 MkII. Guess what, I have one camera, a Nikon 1 V1 with a 32 1.2, 18, and FT-1/85mm.
My theory is, if I can't get a decent picture out of the little Nikon, I shouldn't be doing this.
Well said Bruce.
Just to clarify:
1. was the V1 kit ever sold?
2. have the cameras of the past year:
Sony RX1, Leica M9/50lux, Leica X1, X2, Sigma DP-3, Canon Ds1 MkII
...all since gone the way of the Bay?

I have sold and rebought the same model of camera so many times that Paypal would never believe they were all for personal use. 3-4 E-P1s, 3 (or 4) copies of the X100 (and an X100s), 2 X-Pro cams, 3 E-P3s, 3 (or 4) E-M5s and my third GXR is on the way which will likely be sold withing a month.

I would love to be a great photographer, but it's never gonna happen. I need to just quit buying cameras, but I don't know what my next hobby would be. It's sad. Really effing sad.

Luke, you need to use Flickr. I want to see your work!

Speaking on strictly nostalgic terms, I do sometimes dream about en EP1 + 50/1.4 Takumar, but I know in my hear that it was wonderful at the time, because it was so much smaller than a DSLR, yet so much better than a compact. But I am quite sure the output would disappoint me now.

I've never 'regained' a camera as I've never sold one! Although, I sometimes put cameras away for a while, and come back to them with new appreciation.

The Sigma DP1 and DP2 are cases in point. I bought the DP1 with full knowledge of it horribly slow operation and quirky image issues, and loved it so much that I bought the DP2 on that basis alone. Since then, I've bought loads more cameras, but after some months I find myself coming back to the DP1 and DP2. The look they produce is unique, particularly in such small, light packages.

I just ordered a used X10; it's really the small sensor point and shoot I miss most. I regret selling my X100, but I'll probably try a Leica X1 when I want to shoot in that format again. It's slower, I know, but the images I've seen from it are great. I like trying differeent things, and being a relatively poor man, the way I do it is to buy, try, and sell, preferably when the item is still hot. I sold my PL25 f1.4 to help finance the acquisition of the Sigma DP2, figuring I only need one normal lens. I was wrong, and someday may well get the PL25 again. A great piece of glass. But slowly, it is dawning on me that I want my system camera (E-M5 at this point) for long, very wide and macro, but the daily walk around stuff between 35-70 EFL may well be boiled down to three fixed lens cameras.

The X10 will be, as it was for some months, my "don't leave home without it" shooter. In the end, though, I always find myself wanting what larger sensors provide.

I have sold and rebought the same model of camera so many times that Paypal would never believe they were all for personal use. 3-4 E-P1s, 3 (or 4) copies of the X100 (and an X100s), 2 X-Pro cams, 3 E-P3s, 3 (or 4) E-M5s and my third GXR is on the way which will likely be sold withing a month.

Jeez Luke, mate, you have my condolences. That's a lot of digicams to cycle through. I assume these are opportunistic purchases rather than rational mulled-over-as-you-sip-your-brandy-on-the-Chesterfield kinda buys? You have the benefit - or not - of craigslist. Us Aussies don't and so I reckon it makes for more deliberate purchases on our behalf.

I would love to be a great photographer, but it's never gonna happen. I need to just quit buying cameras, but I don't know what my next hobby would be. It's sad. Really effing sad.

I reckon you might be being a little hard on yourself. I've seen an image or two of yours I've really taken to (y) Then again, if you truly believe this then I'd suggest being clear about what would suffice in terms of IQ and UI and just shoot with that kit, and that kit alone, for a year….hey 2014's just around the corner and what better date to start than 1 Jan and what better time to get the new cam than 25 Dec ;)

Seriously, as Mike Johnston said:
"But I'll say this: A year with a single Leica and a single lens, looking at light and ignoring color, will teach you as much about actually seeing photographs as three years in any photo school, and as much as ten or fifteen years (or more) of mucking about buying and selling and shopping for gear like the average hobbyist."
Not sure if it MUST be a Leica (and this argument has gone on ad infinituum since that article was written), but surely any camera you are clear will suffice in terms of IQ and UI will do.

Having said all that I believe the same pitfalls lay in wait for other average hobbyists pursuing other extremes such as car restoration, stamp-collecting, etc.

first i'm certain this is not true. however, ive come to the conclusion that constant buying/selling/coveting gear actually retards development as a photographer. like any other hobby or artistic endeavor, the more comfortable one is with their tools, the more they know, understand and are 'one' with their subtleties and nuances, the less they have to 'think' about process, the more elegant is the ultimate 'performance'.

a couple years back i took a very extended trip and for the first time decided to bring only one camera/lens (well one digital and one film each woth only one lens) and i remember feeling liberated and exhilirated. and frankly the results were above my average. forcing myself to remember this is where the battle lies.

so luke, i would say give yourself a chance, try something different. youve a great tool on the way. pick a lens to get your favorite FL and resolve to just use that combo for say three months. no decisions, no stress, just that one rig. i believe you'll feel differently at the end of that time.

:thiagree:Well said Tony. Very well said.

a couple years back i took a very extended trip and for the first time decided to bring only one camera/lens (well one digital and one film each woth only one lens) and i remember feeling liberated and exhilirated. and frankly the results were above my average. forcing myself to remember this is where the battle lies.
So, pray tell, what was this film and digital mainstay? Be very keen to know if they are still both in your arsenal.

well mark, for me it was the x100 and the xpan with 45mm lens. again its a constant struggle. you see other images with different equipment, you compare, you feel 'i deserve the best, like that guy' or 'i want that look', and instead of trying to get the results you want from what you have, by stretching yourself or challenging yourself, you romanticize that the equipment is the shortcut. we should all have a zen master who, at that point, raps us upside the head and walks away!

I don't re-buy, just regret. Still looking for "my" camera and lens, but running out of time. I'm thinking that age and health may catch up to me before I find them. :) But what a trip!

Luke, it might help, if we quit spending so much time looking at the "machinery", and focus more on the action and tech. side of photography. But, I've always been enamored with fine machinery. So, the quest goes on!

I've never actually repurchased anything that I have sold, but there are two cameras that constantly tempt me: Contax G and the Lumix G3. I sold a beautiful Contax G system after I bought my first DSLR and thought I would never shoot film again. I sold the G3 (and most of my m4/3 system) when I bought the Leica M9P.

Mind you, I have this nasty habit of not selling cameras that I have stopped using...

Back