Bags Camera bags - options?

Went to have a look at camera bags the other day when I came to realise that they're just regular bags with padded inserts in them. Not really sure what the Lowepros and the Billinghams and the Crumplers do that is any different to that, really. Well... maybe they've got little side pockets for memory cards 'n things. But anyway I'm thinking as an alternative of buying a regular bag and then looking for padded inserts, if there are any.

What bags do you use, what would recommend as serious compact enthusiasts who prefer to keep it light and mobile?

I've been carrying my carry-everywhere Leica M8.2 and single 35mm lens in a perfect fit Lowepro bag for the past couple of years. I've just recently bought a 90mm lens so I'm going to need a bigger bag.

Plus, I'm still in denial mode over the new Leica M - I'm determined to buy it but am in denial that I can't afford it. So while I'm in denial mode I'm thinking I may need an even bigger bag to carry two Leica bodies and three lenses.

The current Bare Bones Bag would be great. The M with lens plus one or two additional lenses fit perfectly plus pockets for notebook, pens, extra battery, memory cards, etc. Just enough bag and unobtrusive.

Andrewteee beat me to it; I also recommend the Bare Bones.

I've had mine for a few months now. I carry my X-Pro 1 and 3 lenses, plus the usual bits and pieces. The bag is well made, unobtrusive, and provides a god balance between protection and bulk. It also has a pocket sized for an iPad; I often keep a paper notebook in there, and sometimes my iPad Mini.

I looked at the ThinkTank Retrospective 5 before settling on the BB. The Retrospective is a great bag, but too bulky for me. The BB conforms to your shape.

Hi

Yes, that's it.

The padding is less than that of most bags. But, I feel it is more than adequate. I am very careful with my gear and would not commit to weak protection. I might not use it for rock climbing with my gear. But I use it for everything else with no worries. The price of what I consider to be over-protection is bulk. In my experience the gear is only really in 'danger' when we are handling it. In this bag it is safe. It will easily withstand a drop or severe bump.

If you need more specific information, let me know.

What does it mean by 'minimum velcro noise':

"Two Velcro closures on the flap: fast open, secure close with a minimum amount of velcro noise."

I have never heard velcro in the middle of the night that isn't jarringly loud.

But if I read it correctly, there is a zip along the top opening under the flap, right?

I bought a Hadley Small from a member of the m43 forum.
I carry two pens and my X100. Can also carry an IPad and lenses and batteries.
The quality and utility is unbeatable.
Since getting it I have pretty much quit looking at other bags.
I also have three different size Crumplers, a Think Tank 10 and a Lowepro FastPack.
The Crumplers get some use when carring only one camera.

I love the classic Billinghams look, I've known of those bags for a while. The Crumplers I'm not so sure of, every Crumpler shop I've been to don't seem to stock many camera-related bags so I've never been able to check out their range other than the smaller point-n-shoot camera bags.

I've been reading up about the Bare Bones, they're handmade by Courierware and they provide options so I can have clips instead of velcro.

Hmmm. I have a Crumpler Large haven insert which is heavily padded. With the same thoughts as the OP, I am thinking of getting a small LL Bean duffle bag abt $38 as the main 'bag' with the haven to be used inside.

I have a Crumpler 6Million dollar home and its not nearly as big as they claim. That is, it will fit a bunch of stuff in, but only if its crammed. The velcro is noisy as hell, too. I use it as a storage bag, these days.

I'm very tempted by domke bags but I wish I could go hands on with one. That's the problem, most times you can't. I'm thinking of just grabbing an insert baggie off ebay and using that with my existing shoulderbag which does everything for me.

Domke bags are good too. Depending on finish they look great (I love the waxed canvas). They're kind of old fashioned, but most fall into the just-enough-protection category, which I like. I think too many bags overdo the padding and gadgets and pockets.

Being crammed in is a good thing, I think. It stops the lenses and camera bodies from clunking into each other with each step.

I like the old fashioned look, that's why I liked the Billinghams look. It's either the ole English satchel look from them, or the old leather satchel of the pony express of the wild west. But the Bare Bones bag is looking very good because Courierware allows customisation and they'll hand make each bag for a very decent price.

My actual camera bags (as opposed to bags I carry cameras in ;)) are either Billingham, Domke or Safrotto. If you are leaning towards the Domke style, have a look at the Safrottos; they are as well made as the Domkes used to be before they went bust and came back with plastic fittings. All the Safrotto fittings are metal, the inserts are included not extra, and the canvas is the quality Domke used to use before they went all paper-thin a few years ago.

I have aways been a fan of Think Tank photo camera bags. The retrospective line has an "old-school" look with modern features.

The Safrotto bags look interesting.. I think I have seen brand new ones sold on eBay. I previously hadn't paid much attention to them but if you recommend them, I'll take a closer look. The only problem with them is they come from China and anything I buy from China takes months to get here.

I've just looked up Think Tank, nice contemporary bags, not so sure if I want a cotton or canvas material though.

I think some of the Safrotto distributors are outside mainland China, but I confess I have had mine for well over 10 years and can't remember exactly who I bought it from - I do recall it was on eBay though.

Back