Fuji calling all neck straps (and other straps,too)

Has anyone used the Holdfast Moneymakers? I'm looking at picking them up for wedding use. X-E1 + 23mm on one and the X-E2 + 56mm on the other.

Money Maker | Luxury Leather Multi Camera Strap – Hold Fast

I love the look of them especially for a dual camera setup. I feel it would be a bit easier to blend in with a wedding crowd in these versus some of the other nylon and mesh straps.

51U25U13fqL.jpg

Blimey.

Really, blimey.

I understand the problem, but that just looks... Well, it wouldn't play well in this part of the world.

That said, a bit of Googling reveals a number of similar contraptions, so there must be a demand.

The way I've solved this problem in the past was to wear two cameras on neckstraps, with one worn long and the other short. You used to be able to buy a rig that hung both from the same neckstrap - you may be able to jury-rig something similar. They hang one above the other without clashing. The net result is that you can raise either to your eye easily. The drawback is that all the weight is on your neck, but the advantage is that you can get through doorways without turning sideways or looking like Brendan Fraser in The Mummy... ;)

brendan-fraser-rick-o-connell-and-john-hannah.jpg

...mind you, I occasionally carry a Billingham Hadley Pro so what do I know...!

Blimey.

Really, blimey.

I understand the problem, but that just looks... Well, it wouldn't play well in this part of the world.

That said, a bit of Googling reveals a number of similar contraptions, so there must be a demand.

The way I've solved this problem in the past was to wear two cameras on neckstraps, with one worn long and the other short. You used to be able to buy a rig that hung both from the same neckstrap - you may be able to jury-rig something similar. They hang one above the other without clashing. The net result is that you can raise either to your eye easily. The drawback is that all the weight is on your neck, but the advantage is that you can get through doorways without turning sideways or looking like Brendan Fraser in The Mummy... ;)

...mind you, I occasionally carry a Billingham Hadley Pro so what do I know...!

I laughed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard here at work! I do appreciate the input though. I'm trying to avoid having weight around my neck which is why I was looking at a dual sling setup. And maybe I WANT to look like Brendan Fraser in The Mummy. :p

Both in Africa and at a wedding last year, I kept my smallish Domke bag on diagonally, swung around slightly behind my hips, with the XE2 + lens and a third lens in it, and then kept the main body/lens in my right hand with the pinky strap setup I use (it's shown in this thread on page 3, it's been 2 years and I still love it). In a pinch, I could always dangle the XT1 for a second from my pinky to open a door / use both hands, etc, and it kept half of the weight off my shoulder. I just couldn't stomach the idea of walking around looking so ... geared up. This was just a green discreet little cotton bag back behind me, and down in my hand a camera.

That's probably not very helpful.

Old thread, but why re-invent the wheel :)
I already have a red Lance camera wrist strap in the box that I've used on my Hi-Matic F, I'll try that out on the camera for starters

I'm considering a Peak Design Leash & Cuff for my incoming x100.
monk3y, rdelbar and Jloden - are you still using those straps? If so, what are you long term thoughts? I am attracted to the quick adjustment feature on the SlideLite however...

There are times I like a shoulder strap, especially when I'm out and about with the kids to free up my hands, but like to carry with a wrist strap other times. What I like about the Peak system is, you can quickly go from one to the other and the connections seem more secure than the strings/plastic connections used by the DSPTCH and Lance shoulder straps.

Others under consideration, not so much for quick changeover however:
  • A&A - I assume the ACAM-103N (20mm) width is good for the x100?
  • Tap & Dye
  • Think Tank v2.0

Joel, the PD leash and cuff will be more than adequate for for an X100!

The leash is adjustable, with a single adjuster of the same style as other PD straps albeit slightly smaller!

Yes you can and I do just that with it carrying an X-T2 + a lens, I've used it with the 18-135 mounted! The strap material is gentle on the neck and soft, feels great. :2thumbs:

P.S. I usually wear mine as an across the chest strap/sling.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Some notes on Peak Design now that I've bought into the system:

The Leash is nice - what's even better is you can buy some anchors, the passthrough buckle and put any hand strap you want on it. The buckle will accept most common sizes of commercially available handstraps - nylon, leather, you pick.

Notes on the Slings - if you want to use the anchor at the bottom of the XT series, you will discover unhappily that they block opening the card/battery compartment - the anchor's Arca-Swiss edges plus the placement of the tripod screw-in point on the bottom of the XT means the edges overlap right where the battery/card door will swing out. I bought some generic (marked "Fotasy" on mine) XT hand grips that gave me both a forefinger as well as a complete Arca-Swiss L bracket across the bottom and camera left side. The grip has a cutout for the door, and it's own tripod screw-in is moved enough to the left that I can secure the anchor to that. This is for the folks who like to use the Sling in the "lens nose down" configuration which requires one anchor at the bottom, and one on the left or right side ear. There is no problem using the ears on the left and right sides of the camera for a more typical neck carry.

Some notes on Peak Design now that I've bought into the system:

The Leash is nice - what's even better is you can buy some anchors, the passthrough buckle and put any hand strap you want on it. The buckle will accept most common sizes of commercially available handstraps - nylon, leather, you pick.

Notes on the Slings - if you want to use the anchor at the bottom of the XT series, you will discover unhappily that they block opening the card/battery compartment - the anchor's Arca-Swiss edges plus the placement of the tripod screw-in point on the bottom of the XT means the edges overlap right where the battery/card door will swing out. I bought some generic (marked "Fotasy" on mine) XT hand grips that gave me both a forefinger as well as a complete Arca-Swiss L bracket across the bottom and camera left side. The grip has a cutout for the door, and it's own tripod screw-in is moved enough to the left that I can secure the anchor to that. This is for the folks who like to use the Sling in the "lens nose down" configuration which requires one anchor at the bottom, and one on the left or right side ear. There is no problem using the ears on the left and right sides of the camera for a more typical neck carry.

Thanks for the update.
I have read that tripod plates do block the battery door on the x100 series bodies. I plan to use the camera strap lugs on my x100 anyway so this should not be a problem.

So, I've had the Lance Camera strap on my x100 for a bit now and want to move to something more discreet (my Lance is red) and comfortable.

I had the ARTISAN&ARTIST ACAM-108 (black) on order through B&H but it seems to be on perpetual backorder, so I canceled it. I like the look and that it doubles as a wrist strap. That's off the table.

Still on the table is a ThinkTank Camera Strap v2.0, gray flamed Tamrac and a Gordys strap.

Feel free to share pics of your Silver X100 series camera with your strap choice :)

I'm using the Peak Design Slide Lite, it is the most versatile strap I've ever used. I have one anchor on bottom right (attached to an L bracket/hand grip on my X-T1) and the other anchor in the left hand eyelet. I find this configuration is very stable and pulling it in tight makes the camera very secure.

Andy

Back