Feedback Calling all Computer Experts: Grebeman needs our help with SC and Mu43!

you can run Puppy from a live DVD on a machine with no hard drive. I my case I do have a hard drive that I mount, but that is only for saving files to, the whole operating system and all applications are on the DVD.

I think this unlikely to be a Puppy problem ... from what I recall of the architecture, Puppy will spill to local disk if there is one available, but generally the memory management is so good it rarely needs to unless you're trying to run on a machine with 64MB (sic) -- or less -- of RAM ...

I was being unceremoniously dumped out of SC the other day too, and fixed it by ticking the box ... this was at work on a Windoze machine running IE8 ... which happens to be a network that from time to time gets tagged and blacklisted, so it may be that the address range that Barrie gets from his ISP falls into a range that CloudFare doesn't like the look of ... anyhoo, I'm not going to speculate more as my professional IT skills are at least a decade out of date ...

Paul, I'm also logged in successfully at Mu-43 at the moment, and CloudFare hasn't made an appearance. Hey, Puppy is designed for those of us with 10 year old kit, so that's no problem :D, though I guess it's technology is bang up to date in many respects. That Barry Kauler who is the brains behind it is some cleaver guy, and I would think someone from our era, so let's hear it for the oldies!

Barrie

BTW, I do have a swap partition on the hard drive, so Puppy uses that if necessary.

Barry K is going to be collecting his pension soon, although I don't know what the "official" retirement age is in Oz, I expect he is in his middle sixties ... he used to teach computing and has written a number of standard texts about programming, and Puppy isn't his only project!
Funnily enough I burnt the latest Puppy just this morning to see how it runs on my new i5 6GB laptop ... perfectly and very very fast ...

Back