Fuji Buying Xpro1 now

I got a little flustered with the XP1's auto focusing abilities. I had my wife walk towards me slowly with our two dogs. I used both AFS and AFC, and I rarely got anything in complete focus. I was using the 56 at both f1.2 and 2.8.

How much better is the XE2's AF abilities? I'm really thinking about returning the XP1 for the XE2.

Regarding AF performance I've heard better things about the X-T1 but it's all relative and a matter of training. I've shot a number of events with different Fujinons on the X-Pro1 wide open (as opposed to stopped down or zone-focused) with a high rate of keepers but in MF mode via AF button like with my ex-Nikons - I mentioned some of the details and settings above. If my life would depend on AF speed and reliability (rather than accuracy) I'd still shoot Nikons.

That's the way I focus also. It works well for what I shoot, mainly landscape, architecture and posed people shots. I'll drop down when shooting street subjects.
Stay with it Armanius.

I wouldn't say significant. I mostly shoot MF back focus with all three cameras.
When shooting AF I think they respond the same when finding that contrast edge to focus on.
The main thing I like better about the X E2 is it's smaller size, but then you get no OVF.

I gave up and returned the XP1. I had more out of focus shots than I cared for, especially under fluorescent lighting. Probably will be end up with a XT1 in the near future. Or the XP2. Or maybe a XE2, when the prices go down even more.

What does everyone think now that it's gone though some firmware updates? How does it compare to the xe2?

The xpro1 and xe2 runs for practially the same around here second hand (aprox. 440 and 470 -USD)

My main usage is portraits with stobes and the 35mm glued on. The OVF doesn't appeal much to me, but I do like the slighty larger body. But having a AF is also appealing. What to choose what to choose?

Thanks everyone!

If the OVF isn't important to you it's a no-brainer. The X-Pro is all about that ability to actually see what you are about to shoot, with no electronics in the way. If that doesn't float your boat, go for the X-E.

Yep. The XE2 is a much snappier camera all around, much more responsive. Well, "much" is a funny word, but you know what I mean, I hope. Shooting with the XE2 when I'm used to the XT1 felt a little slow, but not because of autofocus. I couldn't really tell a difference in 2 weeks of shooting in Africa. The T is a little quicker to start up, and has a bigger buffer I think for bursts. For what you describe, it sounds like the XE would be much better than the Pro.

The X-E2 is much quicker to focus than the X-Pro1 and the rumoured upgrade to the equivalent V.4 of the X-T1 will make it very fast.

The X-Pro1 is still a superb camera and has a presence and a heft to it that the X-E2 cannot match. But were I having to make the choice now between the two, it would be the X-E2 everytime.

I've got an X-Pro 1 coming from the B&H deal with the 27mm and 35mm lenses. I've been trying for ages to truly love an EVF. My E-M5 is a lovely camera, but I want that rangefinder-like optical finder. To me it makes all the difference in the world. I don't expect to be shelling out for EVF's in the future; it's like watching a video of the world I want to shoot. Hell, it IS watching video of the world I want to shoot. Increasingly, I find it in the way.

The X-Pro arrived today, and I'm delighted with it. It will need a diopter correction to work a bit better with my progressive lenses, but that is already ordered. With the 3.4 firmware the auto focus is as fast as I need. Even in the house at night I haven't found it a problem. It's contrast detect, so I don't try to focus on a blank sheet of paper, but if I give it what it wants, it focuses nicely.

I know some people hate the large space around the frame lines, but I love it. 1.) I can see what is around the frame and make decisions of when to shoot based on that and 2.) I shoot with my glasses on and have struggled to see the entire frame except in RF style viewfinders. Even minus the RF focusing system, it is, for me at least, a delightfully natural way to shoot.

I expect to enjoy this new toy a lot. Though I won't be getting rid of my E-M5. EVF or not, it is a versatile shooter that I want to keep around.

I'm giving the Xpro1 a try! Bought a new (but display) model for roughly $US500. I really want to see if the fuji xtrans sensor delivers on monochrome tones and subtleties. ( i got an Xf1 for my daughter last christmas and the Exr impressed me in output).

I was leaning towards an X100, but, well, here we are. Should have the camera in two or three days. Now i need a lens!

The 35 seems the obvious choice, but the 27 interests me for some reason. I wish it had an Ap ring though.

In short, i'm hoping for a classic styled camera to shoot in classic styled tones. I dont really see a need for longer lenses on this style of camera, so i may well only ever get a sole prime and basically weld it on. I have a pentax dslr, i have a couple of oly mirrorless and now an aps-c ILC. If i dont like it, i will just go back to plan A and hunt for an X100.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 27mm is a very nice lens and equivalent to a "perfect normal" 40mm (or 41). I usually put the 35 on my newly acquired X-Pro, but if I were to have only one lens, I'd seriously consider the 27. Many old fixed lens rangefinders by Olympus (which I owned) and other manufacturers chose the 40mm length for their cameras. Sigmas DP2 Merrill has roughly a 42mm equivalent. If you only have one lens, it is a very nice choice, and it makes the X-Pro a pretty nifty small package. I wouldn't worry about no aperture ring: the rear dial to change f-stop is right there, easily under your thumb. I've never had to hunt for it with the camera to my eye.

That said, it would be a shame to have the system and miss out on the 35mm, which is a special lens. Once sharp across the frame at f4, it has no competition.

As for the X-Pro itself. I've wanted its hybrid viewfinder for ages, so even owning the E-M5, which I like a lot and intend to keep, I'm thrilled with this camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back