Feedback Brainstorming a new name for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have to say I'd go for almost anything BUT "Gear and Photo" - maybe it's me but I think it's a bit "anorak" and it reminds me of UK magazines such as Homes and Gardens, Motorboat and Yachting, Horse and Hound & Exchange and Mart.

John's right. Think of the positive attributes and weave something around them.

I like puns and wordplay so things like "Photo-Finish" or "Light Work" appeal to me. Or how about something classical like "Fiat Lux"? The word "light", of course, can be used in two different ways, so I think we could make the most of that. Thus we have "Light and Fast" and "Travel Light". Or what about "Chiaroscuro"? "Sensor"? "Light-Trappers"? "Light-Hunters"? (too close to "Lightstalkers", I fear) "Available Light"? "Lightsmiths"? "Lightwaves"?

Actually, my last suggestion is the simplest - "Serious+Compact"...

I Have to say I'd go for almost anything BUT "Gear and Photo" - maybe it's me but I think it's a bit "anorak" and it reminds me of UK magazines such as Homes and Gardens, Motorboat and Yachting, Horse and Hound & Exchange and Mart.

or of course the locus classicus of the genre - "Health and Efficiency"

I love dynamic rangers but sadly the domain name has already been claimed. Very catchy though!

+1 for Serious Cameras or leaving as is. CircleofConfusion and DynamicRangers also sound great. I don't think having to have a .com is such a big deal these days, and there's no reason not to keep the current domain name at the same time.

I like Dynamic Rangers, Camera of the Month Club, Photographer's Asylum, Gear & Photo, Circle Of Confusion and Image Conscious (and if anyone points out that 3 of those are mine, that's only a side effect of having suggested a ton....... I couldn't care less what the place is called.......to paraphrase the great bard, a forum is a forum is forum.... a forum by any name 'twould smell as sweet).

I would also like to suggest that it is the people here that define the space and the feel.....not the name. As evidence of this, I would like to point out the most amazing Gay Bar. And lest one think that it is a watering hole for men who like men. It is not. If you go the Gay Bar (in Gay Michigan), you will be rubbing elbows (and nothing else) with local lumberjacks (or whoever else happens to be there). You know..... the regulars. They get a lot of curiosity seekers, but in the end they treat everyone who visits with respect. they are just a regular bar in Gay, Michigan. Blog | The Gay Bar | Visit us in Gay Michigan So whatever OUR place ends being named, remember that it is the contribution of the collective of individuals assembled here that represents what this place is all about....not the name.

Amin, is there any advantage - SEO wise - in keeping the original name or justing adding the "+" or "Plus" to it? Because Serious Compacts has to have built some kind of street cred up to this point.

EDIT: How about It's the Photographer! Or... It's Not The Camera!

Reactions: BBW
"Dynamic Rangers" sounds like "Power Rangers" to me. I'm not wearing turquoise lycra for anybody... More seriously, if it encourages HDR in any form I'm agin' it.

Honestly, the name is, to me at least, incidental to the focus of the site. Having slept on it I'm going to vote - again - for Serious+Compacts - close for SEO purposes, close for mission purposes.

In the UK at least, "rebranding" is often seen in a negative light. We should be wary of the messages we send, and careful what we wish for.

A short story - back in the 90's I worked for a very successful company with a strong culture with some unique elements. There was an initiative at one point to analyse that culture, to codify it, and set it down on paper. I was one of those that argued "culture" simply = "people". The effort to codify was abandoned, and the decision was taken to simply go on recruiting like-minded people. A few years later the very successful company acquired a less successful company of similar size. The culture was heavily diluted as a result. Good people became disenchanted and left. 18 months later it was subject to a hostile takeover and today it is no more.

+1 ,, I have concerns with the idea of renaming especially in haste

I would never think to google most of the names when searching for photography sites but serious compacts worked at the time

Google

"Dynamic Rangers" sounds like "Power Rangers" to me. I'm not wearing turquoise lycra for anybody... More seriously, if it encourages HDR in any form I'm agin' it.

Honestly, the name is, to me at least, incidental to the focus of the site. Having slept on it I'm going to vote - again - for Serious+Compacts - close for SEO purposes, close for mission purposes.

In the UK at least, "rebranding" is often seen in a negative light. We should be wary of the messages we send, and careful what we wish for.

A short story - back in the 90's I worked for a very successful company with a strong culture with some unique elements. There was an initiative at one point to analyse that culture, to codify it, and set it down on paper. I was one of those that argued "culture" simply = "people". The effort to codify was abandoned, and the decision was taken to simply go on recruiting like-minded people. A few years later the very successful company acquired a less successful company of similar size. The culture was heavily diluted as a result. Good people became disenchanted and left. 18 months later it was subject to a hostile takeover and today it is no more.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back