Blizzard of 2016

serhan

Hall of Famer
Nobody posted yet so I start... We have so far 2 feet ~ 60cm and it is still coming...

Earlier in the morning:
original.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

Later in the afternoon:
original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Post yours...

Very nice - the images really convey the sense of being there, for one who grew up just South of Cleveland.

I've been using the Ricoh Theta M15 on my runs. Today, I snowshoed through town:

24489336101_1c8fc61bd1_c.jpg

Downtown during Winter Storm Jonas
by John Flores, on Flickr

24463329012_e48085a7c2_c.jpg

Winter Storm Jonas

24545520076_782c3688b5_c.jpg

This guy is shoveling with shorts on during Winter Storm Jonas

24463398292_558da6ec0b_c.jpg

My Good Deed for the day

23944827493_976043cb76_c.jpg

Running through downtown during Winter Storm Jonas

24545655816_0d6a355096_c.jpg

Walking the dog during Winter Storm Jonas

You can click through to find a link to the 360 version of the above photos, although the image quality on Flickr is potato for some reason. You can also see them all here: Profile | RICOH THETA

Some great pictures there.

Reading reports from afar, shovelling snow seems to be one of the big hazards in all this - at least five people in the New York area have died while shovelling or removing snow (with or without shorts).

Have fun and stay safe,

-R

Those series capture the atmosphere beautifully! A pleasure to look at. Not sure if it's a pleasure to be in though :)

I didn't shoot anything DURING the blizzard. I did as instructed and planted my ass on the couch and barely moved it. There was a great Op-Ed in the NYT this morning (or maybe yesterday) about blizzards being the greatest of natural disasters because it rewarded those who do nothing. The people getting hurt and killed are those who go out in it and try to DO stuff - to go somewhere and get things done. Not us - we had to go out just enough to let our dog take care of her needs - otherwise, we were planted. And living in a condo, I didn't even have to shovel out today! Also, they're the one natural disaster that leaves everything looking MORE beautiful in the immediate aftermath!

Here are a few with the DF and a 40+ year old MF 28mm f3.5, first of the most active thing I did yesterday (making espresso!), and then of the snow today, when it's already well on the ground:

23958154243_709dcac66b_h.jpg
Blizzard!-7-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Our thoroughly buried front patio - under somewhere near 30" of the white stuff:

24476642662_b0e33bfebc_h.jpg
Blizzard!-5-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

Around town:

24558786476_0e2033e9f1_h.jpg
Blizzard!-13-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

24584952755_d93cb0af99_h.jpg
Blizzard!-17-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

24558782316_7edd0dea63_h.jpg
Blizzard!-36-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

My wife and our poor little dog, who's feet are burned by the salt on the sidewalks and who can't find her familiar smells from which to do what needs to be done!

24476632592_d136a9d747_b.jpg
Blizzard!-40-Edit
by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

Blizzards and earthquakes.
1:30 AM this morning everything begin vibrating, enough to wake everyone, that wasn't already awake. Woke the wife, and she shouted, "what's going on?". I said "earthquake". The vibrating turned to sharp jerks, then long rolling motion, that slowly diminished and quit. Another after shock later did not wake us. A friend was on the 16th floor of a hotel in Anchorage, AK. She grabbed everything, ran down 16 flights of stairs, and drove home, 160 miles to here in Kenai.

This photo is a re-post, from Fox News, showing results in our local grocery.
1453640162124.jpg

I've been using the Ricoh Theta M15 on my runs. Today, I snowshoed through town:

24463329012_e48085a7c2_c.jpg

Winter Storm Jonas

24545520076_782c3688b5_c.jpg

This guy is shoveling with shorts on during Winter Storm Jonas

24463398292_558da6ec0b_c.jpg

My Good Deed for the day

23944827493_976043cb76_c.jpg

Running through downtown during Winter Storm Jonas

24545655816_0d6a355096_c.jpg

Walking the dog during Winter Storm Jonas

You can click through to find a link to the 360 version of the above photos, although the image quality on Flickr is potato for some reason. You can also see them all here: Profile | RICOH THETA

Those 360 degree cameras seem like a lot of fun. Stay warm out there.

Blizzards and earthquakes.
1:30 AM this morning everything begin vibrating, enough to wake everyone, that wasn't already awake. Woke the wife, and she shouted, "what's going on?". I said "earthquake". The vibrating turned to sharp jerks, then long rolling motion, that slowly diminished and quit. Another after shock later did not wake us. A friend was on the 16th floor of a hotel in Anchorage, AK. She grabbed everything, ran down 16 flights of stairs, and drove home, 160 miles to here in Kenai.
This makes me think of the old joke about the two snowmen in the glass ornament on the shelf - one says to the other "some climate this is, first an earthquake and then a blizzard"

-R

John: The 360 with your snowshoes on is disorienting adding to the overall chaos and yet quiet of the mood there. I remember a blizzard a couple years ago here in the midwest and of course I went out. The next day everything was silent except for the scrape of shovels echoing down the block and the occasional snow blower that someone was able to get out of the garage. It took all of us here to shovel, then I went out where no man was going (except for unlucky merchants) to get salt. No one on the streets, had fun going for a slide in our truck. You had to keep going because if you dare stop you might not unstick.. so playing the slide was essential.

Serhan: The haze of it snowing in your photos is great. How does it look now?

Ray: You captured those snow mounds well. That is what blizzard means to me, the mountains after though I recall my mother's stories of living in Minnesota as a child. They would climb out an upper story window and jump into the snow from above it was so high. Not recommended by the way but somehow they all grew up!

Last edited:
I haven't had any camera GAS in awhile, but that Theta...... that thing gives me some wicked GAS. EVeryone needs to make sure they click through to view John's photos on the Ricoh site to experience them in all of their 360 degree rotating glory. It really makes you feel like you're in the scene.

I missed that link to the 360s the first time. Excellent! Especially the one with the dog gains a lot in it's 360 glory :-D

John & Ray, great images.

I checked the 360 link too. John, how long does it take you to take one shot, esp when you are running?

Thanks for the likes and comments. Today it was sunny beautiful, very similar to Ray's shots. I even went to work. They shut down the all roads/rail yesterday afternoon. So today the roads were in good shape with snow piles on the shoulders, but in the evening there was one accident after the wet location froze... Most probably there will more tomorrow morning as first regular workday...

I lived in MN for 2 years but all I remember was 14" of snow in the middle of April and went to work as normal. It was a challenge to get out of the apartment complex with 2 wd car:)

Serhan: The haze of it snowing in your photos is great. How does it look now?

Ray: You captured those snow mounds well. That is what blizzard means to me, the mountains after though I recall my mother's stories of living in Minnesota as a child. They would climb out an upper story window and jump into the snow from above it was so high. Not recommended by the way but somehow they all grew up!

I haven't had any camera GAS in awhile, but that Theta...... that thing gives me some wicked GAS. EVeryone needs to make sure they click through to view John's photos on the Ricoh site to experience them in all of their 360 degree rotating glory. It really makes you feel like you're in the scene.

You know you want to. As long as you're ok with the P&S image quality, the camera is a lot of fun. It really feels like a beta though - sharing is cumbersome, transferring to you computer is cumbersome, website offers no organization tools (folders, etc...). Despite that, it's cool and I look forward to seeing the technology evolve.

I checked the 360 link too. John, how long does it take you to take one shot, esp when you are running?

The shot happens instantly, even mid-stride:

22091385375_9b2244bf24_c.jpg

Trail Running with the Ricoh Theta M15

If you haven't seen the camera, it has a fisheye lens on either side of a short wand. When you press the shutter, it automagically takes two photos and stitches them together.

This was from yesterday, snowboarding in Times Square:

That video is freakin' awesome. There's a great video you can get to from the end of it about the making of it, which is also pretty entertaining and really interesting. The guy had the idea to try this on Friday, did it on Saturday, posted it early Sunday morning, and it had gone completely viral within a few hours. Pretty wild...

-Ray

That video is freakin' awesome. There's a great video you can get to from the end of it about the making of it, which is also pretty entertaining and really interesting. The guy had the idea to try this on Friday, did it on Saturday, posted it early Sunday morning, and it had gone completely viral within a few hours. Pretty wild...

-Ray

That's Casey Niestat. He's got a huge YouTube channel. These kinds of stunts are his specialty. So the fact that it's gone viral is no surprise, really. This is the new new media.

That's Casey Niestat. He's got a huge YouTube channel. These kinds of stunts are his specialty. So the fact that it's gone viral is no surprise, really. This is the new new media.
Yeah, I remember his bike lanes in NYC video, after he got a ticket for not riding in the bike lane. That one came up on a cycling forum I used to hang out on a lot. Didn't realize he was a "thing" at that point - maybe he wasn't yet. That was quite a while ago...

-Ray

Back