Fuji Beyond the specs: XP2 versus XE3

Anthony Wilkins

Regular
Name
Anthony Wilkins
I was an early adopter of the XP1 and original three primes. I've been contemplating a second body with all the new goodies. I've poured over the specs of both the X-E3 and X Pro 2. The price and size of the X-E3 are certainly nice but I love my X P1 and its Hybrid VF. The Graphite version of the XP2 is beautiful in pics and videos.

So beyond what I can tell in pictures and in the specs of both, what can you tell me to help me decide.

TIA

I can only speak on things about the X-Pro2 as I have no experience with the X-E3.

If you love the experience of shooting with and X-Pro body and hybrid viewfinder, you very well may not like the transition to the X-E line. You also may not like the ergonomics of moving to a smaller body. I love the more rugged build of the X-Pro2 and have used the weather sealing on multiple occasions. The dual card slots are also very nice to have. When we travel, I can put in two 32gb cards and shoot all I want in raw without ever having to worry about carrying extra cards or running out of space. Same goes for covering events, or a day out with the family. This option also works for any size card. If you shoot jpg only, you can run with a pair of 8gb cards which are a much lower cost, and shoot all day. The optical viewfinder experience has been improved over the X-Pro1 making it even more enjoyable to use. Being old and kinda set in my ways, I prefer the tactile experience of using a joystick nub for changing the autofocus points over the new touchscreen method. And I prefer having the 4 way D pad for controls.

Well, that was quick. I suspect you already knew what you wanted. And congratulations. :2thumbs:

Meanwhile, I think you made the right choice, especially if it was a case of either the XP2 or the X-E3. Adding the X-E3 to your kit would be an entirely different proposition. And would most likely end up with you adding at least some of the compact f/2.0 primes.

I've had an interest in the X-E3 myself. But if I bought one, it's quite possible I would use it as a semi-point-and-shoot -- dipping into aperture and shutter priority, and exposure compensation when needed -- but generally keeping it simple.

Or is that what the X80 would be for?

I've found that the f2 primes are a good match for the Pro2. Lightweight, fantastic image quality, and weather sealed. A weather sealed body is only one half of the equation. One can go out with a f2 prime mounted on the camera, and another in your pocket.

I had already ordered a 50f2 to go with my Pro 1 and of course the graphite comes with a graphite 23f2. I have, love, and won't sell off the original 35f1.4 so I doubt I'll get the 35f2. The next two lenses on the shopping lest for the GAS station are the 90f2 and 16f1.4.

Back