1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Best Olympus XA?

Discussion in 'Film Cameras' started by theoldsmithy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I've been hankering after an XA for a while. Prices for the original rangefinder model are getting silly - are the zone focus models still good? I imagine the lens is the same, isn't it?

2. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida
    Timothy Williams
    Pretty sure the XA4 has a 28 mm lens.

3. Cerita

Cerita Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    They are getting ridiculous! In fact a lot of film cameras are getting outrageous now on Ebay, the other day I happened to be looking at an XA, and saw the price of a Fuji GW690 for twice of what I paid for mine, glad I got it when I did!

4. ztryfe

ztryfe Regular

Nov 6, 2015
    Victor
  5. phigmov

phigmov Veteran

Mar 23, 2015
    Film is the only option for truly pocketable full-frame. Bonus - weather sealing on the mju. It'll barely bulge in pockets too (jacket, shirt, trousers or jeans). Try that with an RX1 :) 

6. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    I have the XA, the XA2 and XA3. I dont’t recomend the XA3 due to DX coding being a bit limiting to adjust exposure by changing the ASA. I like the XA2 but is easy to miss focus and the viewfinder is small. Bought the XA again recently (not for me originally) and will give a second opportunity. The problem for me is that everything is so small for such a camera, especially viewfinder and focus lever.

I also have a mju ii, but I’m never sure where it focus...

7. MoonMind

MoonMind All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'm a bit underwhelmed by the XA's lens - it's sharp, but somewhat veiled and flat compared to what the Minox GT-E's Minoxar can provide. That said, the XA *is* a technological marvel, a work of art, and if you shoot mainly black and white with a contrasty film, you'll be absolutely fine; for colour, Fuji will be your friend (or Kodak Ektar - but that can get a magenta cast ...). And who knows, maybe my camera (used previously by a heavy smoker - my father ...) may be the odd one out ...

M.

8. I really liked my XA2, but the meter died. I would buy another in a heartbeat, except the prices have gotten a little silly.

BV

9. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    It seems even the XA2 is now getting expensive (upwards of £60 for a decent one). Still, I really fancy the idea of such a compact device. I may sell a couple of my other cameras which don’t get any use to fund it.

10. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    I did sell a very good condition, with box and flash for GBP 60 + posting very recently. If the camera is really assured to be in good working condition, I believe the price is fair. The XA itself has been getting more expensive since the mju ii is now crazy expensive and the XA is a natural alternative. I've sold a very good condition mju ii a couple of years ago (Dec'15) for 50 Eur... :mad: 

11. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I just found an XA2 on eBay for £40, in apparently excellent condition, so I snapped that up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. theoldsmithy

Jan 7, 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Cerita

Cerita Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Canada
    Lovely shots Martin.

14. Beautiful shots, regardless of what camera you used!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.