Best camera for a lounge?

Of all the cameras that I own, I'm thinking Pentax K-01 with the FA31 - great in low light, quiet shutter, focus peaking for silent manual focus (without distracting focus noise or focus assist lights), and an understated and stylish look. No bag, just the camera hanging jauntily from my wrist then set casually upon the cocktail table while I order a bourbon.

Agreed 100%!

That's an interesting statement. I think I know what you mean but care to elaborate?

im SUPA introvert man... im only wild and crazy in my head, and on forums ;)
i despise GROUPS irl
so if i was forced to hang out with a bunch of people, id focus on just being the photographer of the nights events, and then id want the high iso of the a7s

if it were a smaller group that i could manage to tolerate, id bring the x100. smaller, so easier to take anywhere, and it always starts up a conversation anytime i take it out. this way, if im forced into conversation, theres a better chance itll be about photography, and not something ridiculous, like the weather, or something silly and superficial.

;)

Maybe this:
Sony rumors: E-mount 4K camcorder leaked. ILCE-QX1 leaked too! - mirrorlessrumors
SmartShot-ILCE-QX1_14_zpsa7ccef19.jpg

ILCE-QX1:
Tomorrow (Sept. 3) at 16:30 Berlin time Sony will announce the new ILCE-QX1 smartphone mount module. It likely has the current A6000 24 megapixel APS-C sensor and will cost 300 Euro (450 Euro with the 16-50mm zoom lens).

Leica M9 with Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 or Voigtlander 35/1.2\

or

Panasonic GH3 + Voigtlander 25/0.95

or

Panasonic GM1 + Olympus 25/1.8 and 45/1.8

The first would be my primary choice as I just love how it renders in lounge/jazz club situations. The Voigtlander 25/0.95 turns any m43 camera into a low light beast, but the softness wide open can be a little much sometimes. And I just love the Panasonic GM1 with the fast Olympus primes. I could also use the Voigtlander 42.5/0.95 or 17.5/0.95 with the GM1. So much fun!

Of the cameras I do not have, I'd use the Sony A7S with an adapter and the Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5. Low light bliss.

John, until last week, I might have also brought the K-01. But, in a concerted effort to pare down my kit, I sold the K-01, the Fuji X-E1, the Fuji X10 and even the Panasonic GX7. They simply weren't getting enough use - even though I loved them all in their own way.

So... given my current holdings I'd bring either the GR or the E-M5 with perhaps the 45mm f/1.8. I could always slip the 17mm f/1.8 or the 25mm f1.8 in a pocket in case I guessed wrong on the focal length.

im SUPA introvert man... im only wild and crazy in my head, and on forums ;)
i despise GROUPS irl
so if i was forced to hang out with a bunch of people, id focus on just being the photographer of the nights events, and then id want the high iso of the a7s

if it were a smaller group that i could manage to tolerate, id bring the x100. smaller, so easier to take anywhere, and it always starts up a conversation anytime i take it out. this way, if im forced into conversation, theres a better chance itll be about photography, and not something ridiculous, like the weather, or something silly and superficial.

;)

Yeah, I totally know about "camera as social crutch". I think that's one of the things that first attracted me to it when I was younger; it gave me an excuse to be an observer instead of a participant.

I've gotten better over the years at striking up conversations with strangers and stuff like that. I guess I'm an extroverted introvert, which a perceptive person can see right through LOL. But sometimes I get stuck with folks that I have absolutely nothing in common with (I try to stay up to date on current events just for conversation fodder, but there are times when even that doesn't work). Or sometimes I just don't feel like it. At those times the camera gives me something pseudo-social to do.

At the end of the day, I think that it's in my nature to be the observer. Humans are such interesting subjects!

Yeah, I totally know about "camera as social crutch". I think that's one of the things that first attracted me to it when I was younger; it gave me an excuse to be an observer instead of a participant.

I've gotten better over the years at striking up conversations with strangers and stuff like that. I guess I'm an extroverted introvert, which a perceptive person can see right through LOL. But sometimes I get stuck with folks that I have absolutely nothing in common with (I try to stay up to date on current events just for conversation fodder, but there are times when even that doesn't work). Or sometimes I just don't feel like it. At those times the camera gives me something pseudo-social to do.

At the end of the day, I think that it's in my nature to be the observer. Humans are such interesting subjects!

Boy, I hear that. Most people who know me regard me as an extrovert. And it makes sense, given my years in radio and television. And, of course, a big part of being a journalist is being a professional observer. But, for quite some time when I was still in high school, it could be painful for me to engage at times and photography helped quite a bit. It still does in some situations today. But you what the best part of being 57 years old is? The realization that you don't have to engage people if you don't want to. Let them be uncomfortable. You can be grouchy, too, when you're 57. It's just that old guy being crazy and eccentric again. It's great stuff. ;)

im VERY friendly and chatty... if its just ONE person... but as soon as another comes along, id rather not be there... lol!
i just find all the best conversations contain just 2 people ;D

Back