Best 85mm solution

These are not my set of pictures and only thought as an example to describe the reason why I decided not to buy it to that price as it was presented by Fuji.
Grass and leaves are very difficult for a lens to generate a smooth bokeh. And I own a lot of manual lenses with this focal length range who had similar or other charakter-ful features (CV Nokton 58mm/1.4, Canon FD 55mm/1.2 SSC, Nikon 50mm/1.2 Ais, Minolta 58mm/1.4, Konica 57mm/1.4,..).
So I decided not to buy the XF56 as new typical portrait lens. A solution could be to use it not the wide open at f/1.2 - often fast lenses show a smoother look then and for portraits f/1.2 produce a (too) thin depth of field anyway. But then I don't need the f/1.2.
As a lens with a special character for general purpose (and distance longer than 0.7m) it would be a good choice. And there are a lot photographs who use it succesfully mainly for portraits.

Last edited:
Well, since this is purely exploratory right now, I decided to pick up an Olympus body and try the 75mm. It's also to satisfy my curiosity with super magical and mystical 5 axis IBIS :) I figure if it really helps it should be on a longish lens like this. Plus it'll also give me a focal length I don't have now. And E-M5s are cheap now so not much risk.

Back