Tripods Benro Geared Head

Thanks @Bobby Tingle I have a Benro travel tripod, which has been really good. They launched this geared head back in March and it is sold out pretty much everywhere here in the UK.

The only other option at the same price point is a Manfrotto model, but it has a proprietary mounting plate whereas the Benro is Arca Swiss compatible.

It is about 900g, which is 500g heavier than my current Pig Iron ballhead, so it will add some weight and I won't be able to fold the tripod legs to their travel position anymore (but I'm okay with that) but hopefully the extra precision from the geared head will outweigh the inconvenience.

If it’s built anything close to how Benro builds their tripods, it should be well worth the trade off. I’ve abused my Benro and it should be dead. But it’s still going strong.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. I have the M410 for a number of years, kind of sad I sold it actually. It was a bit heavy, but worked VERY well. I considered the new XPRO, but the reviews haven't been great.

I took the new head out earlier and grabbed some pictures to give an idea of size etc.

These show my X-T1 with 56/1.2 mounted.

DSCF4444.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSCF4446.jpg
DSCF4449.jpg
DSCF4450.jpg

Each of the three controls has a wheel behind it, which you twist to release the gears (to make big adjustments) - this takes a bit of getting used to but works well.
The head is heavy compared to a ball head but still less than 900g, so personally I don't mind the extra weight for the precision it gives.
This last pic shows the Arca Swiss mounting plate - it as a safety lock adjustment - you can loosen it so far by just twisting but to open fully you have to pull back the adjuster and twist the rest of the rest of the way. I really like this feature.
DSCF4453.jpg

I need to learn how to carry this tripod arrangement better - I was walking through some fields with tall grass and have just spent 5 mins picking all the grass seeds out of the tripod head :(

Back