Before and After: Lets see yours :)

Rajiv, what that a tripod shot at base ISO or handheld at higher ISO? I'm guessing a tripod shot to pull that much out of the shadows without a lot of obvious noise...

-Ray

That was shot on a tripod Ray. 1/3rd of a second at f16, at 17mm. It was a chain of bracketed exposures for an HDR, but to my surprise a single underexposed image is good enough on the D800.

Nothing radical here but I wanted to participate. This is an older shot from February 2014, shot on the X100. Here's the original:

16680306166_5c77650724_c.jpg
DSCF8074
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And the edited version. Note that I took out the two twigs in the foreground, using MS Paint, the poor man's Healing tool.

16704941201_cbe4d8e4b2_c.jpg
DSCF8074P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Slight cropping, and a different perspective ratio. Some work on the different color curves to get slight red in the shadows and slight blue in the highlights. And then a lot of tweaking to the overall light levels to get it milky and washed out without losing too much detail.

xclpK7f.jpg

OJeiDyg.png

I'm curious, what are you thinking?

The "after" photo greatly accentuates the fine details of her hair and face, in a way that reminds me more of photojournalism than portraiture, if that makes sense. It gives the shot more of a realistic, gritty feeling than a normal "happy snapshot" would, which the shot could very easily have been. I like it a lot, and find it very interesting!

This morning, I did a camera demonstration for my daughter's class. Here's the group shot I took of them at the end, unedited.

16517713307_453bed20dc_c.jpg
KBRX7367
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

And the edited version, which actually took a lot of work. Besides the crop, toning, shadows, highlights, and curve work, this has (I think) 5 separate spot or gradient filters to add light on kids in darker areas, or to dim background areas. I'm learning how to subtly add and subtract light to make it a better image, hopefully without leaving obvious footprints. Or, I'm trying to learn.

16537564330_594c7b6f8d_c.jpg
KBRX7367Print
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Back