1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Asking for a friend

Discussion in 'Sony' started by fatgopher, Jul 11, 2018.

1. fatgopher

fatgopher New Member

Aug 4, 2017
    A friend of mine has a Sony A5100. She recently found a canon film camera with a couple EF autofocus lens. I know they're not the best but I told her she should get an adapter to use the lens on her sony. I doubt there would be any AF function with these old lens but is there any apeture control available?
    Also is there a difference in brands? Most of the youtube video talking about it are years old and not very informative concerning the a5100.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    for "dumb" adapters (ones without electronic communications) it will be MF only. All of the cheap adapters are "dumb"....they will work the same......you may pay a little more for slightly better build quality.

Here's a link to a lengthy article about some smart adapters that allow AF for SOME EF lenses.....performance varies widely based on body and lens. Canon EF Smart Adapter Tests for Sony E-Mount Cameras

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.