Canon Argh! I DIDN'T get the S95 :(

wt21

Hall of Famer
Amazon had a lightening deal before Christmas -- S95 for $229. A friend of mine told me about it, and I DIDN'T do it (trying to just be happy with my gear). So, I've been hanging out with him for a couple of days, and I'm completely kicking myself. That would be an excellent camera addition to my kit. Now I can pick one up for just $100 more! Drat. I know I could have bigger problems, but this is definitely some GAS-angst.

I had some of those same feelings when I resisted the deal (actually had it in my cart and was one click away from sending it on its way....). I was waiting to see whether the S100 would blow it away, and I'm not sure that's what the reviews and users say. Oh, well....I really want to learn to use the GRD III, so that's one less distraction.

I agree with Biro that the price will likely drop again. I think the IQ of the S90 and S95 are pretty close. So you may want to check out some S90's as well, if you can find them. The only difference is HD video (I think).

Amazon had a lightening deal before Christmas -- S95 for $229. A friend of mine told me about it, and I DIDN'T do it (trying to just be happy with my gear). So, I've been hanging out with him for a couple of days, and I'm completely kicking myself. That would be an excellent camera addition to my kit. Now I can pick one up for just $100 more! Drat. I know I could have bigger problems, but this is definitely some GAS-angst.

Sorry you missed out. I went ahead and took advantage of that deal, and now committed to using it for the Single In January group. I have a lot to learn with this new one. I'm sure another deal is just around the corner.

A nice compact traveller this...it did a small part of the US with me a few months back. But it has it's short-comings. For me mainly the speed on the long-end and no viewfinder options. But as Armando, Luke and Biro point out if it's still a proposition for you in the months or years ahead then it will be had for a song.....and it's well worth it for the price of a song no matter how slow it is at range ;)

I'd thought about it too, Bill. Kept imagining really being able to fit it in my blue jeans pocket or in my pocketbook. But didn't go for it.

Interestingly the S100 doesn't have EV compensation controls on the camera itself...seems kind of a strange thing to burry in a menu.

Let us know if you see a good deal again!:th_salute:

Sorry you missed out. I went ahead and took advantage of that deal, and now committed to using it for the Single In January group. I have a lot to learn with this new one. I'm sure another deal is just around the corner.

Otto, I have an S90, and I've really enjoyed using it for the last couple years. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results from the S95, a truly pocketable little gem!

I'd thought about it too, Bill. Kept imagining really being able to fit it in my blue jeans pocket or in my pocketbook. But didn't go for it.

Interestingly the S100 doesn't have EV compensation controls on the camera itself...seems kind of a strange thing to burry in a menu.

Let us know if you see a good deal again!:th_salute:

BB, good morning! Thanks for pointing out that change in access to exposure compensation with the S100. That's a real downer for me. While the S90 rear dial was too easy to dislodge (somewhat corrected in the S95), that dial was what I use for exposure compensation when in P, A or S mode. I just can't imagine having to go into a menu to change that important setting.... If Canon were more like Olympus, they would give you an option to activate that rear dial for exposure compensation or other purposes. Makes the S95 that much more attractive to the enthusiast segment.

From the DPReview it seems that the change with exposure compensation is only an issue if you're used to having exp comp on the rear dial directly. If you use the step zoom on the front dial and shutter speed/aperture on the rear dial then it works just like S95. You have to press "up" then you can change exp compensation on the rear dial, no need for menu diving.

From the DPReview it seems that he change with exposure compensation is only an issue if you're used to having exp comp on the rear dial directly. If you use the step zoom on the front dial and shutter speed/aperture on the rear dial then it works just like S95. You have to press "up" then you can change exp compensation on the rear dial, no need for menu diving.

Thanks for the clarification, Chris!

The S100 was in very short supply before Christmas; seems to be coming back into stock at major online outlets (e.g., B&H, amazon.com). Looking forward to hearing users' impressions and, of course, sample photos.

Back