Anyone thinking about going-DSLR again?

Nope, no interest in DSLR. More interested in going the other way; i.e. using a shirt pocket sized point and shoot in place of M4/3 in shooting situations where the p&s is a close match for M4/3 in image quality.

This thread is giving me GAS !

In fact all these threads are giving me varying amounts of GAS. It's time for me to review my needs as far as photo equipment is concerned. The right tools for my primary photographic goals. And right now , and I suspect most of the past , it's landscapes that are what I look for most. My GXR with A16 should be more than adequate for the job. But IMO this combo seems to be better suited to urban (hard) land/cityscapes.
Do you know what ? I've not got a clue what I'm going on about ! Dazed and confused I am. I don't need more gear.
What I need is to stop being lazy and get out and find scenes . If I was to put the same amount of time and effort into getting out and doing , as I put into studying camera gear reviews , I would have a hard drive full of great images..
So time for me to make an effort and plan a shoot somewhere other than where I walk my dogs. Find another river scene. Walk up a different mountain. Find another stretch of coast. Then perhaps put on a small exhibit in the local village hall.
One of the biggest WOWS for me and a big source of inspiration has come from this forum and in particular the work of Mr Entropic Remnants. This guy works hard to capture and show some of the finest images I've seen for a long while.
So as from today, I shall endeavour to change the way I approach my photography. No more rattling off the same old scenes from the same old places. Treat the GXR as if its a 10x8 field camera and trip the shutter if its worth it.

I see strange comparisons rather often, done by DSLR fans in order to show how superior their DSLRs are. These comparisons are very strange, because they compare the OM-D with cameras like the Nikon D4 or the Canon 1Dx (as seen yesterday in a German forum) in order to demonstrate how bad mirrorless is. The strange thing is, that the need to take the most expensive cameras of Canon and Nikon for their comparisons is a rather convincing argument in favor of the OM-D. The camera by Nikon being most similar to the OM-D is the D7000, which is an excellend DSLR, but in no way superior to the OM-D apart from AF-C.

Well, in all fairness, the D7000 has been measured as having greater dynamic range, better high-ISO color accuracy, and less noise than the OM-D. Depending on subject matter this may or may not be important.

Well, in all fairness, the D7000 has been measured as having greater dynamic range, better high-ISO color accuracy, and less noise than the OM-D. Depending on subject matter this may or may not be important.

Well, I had a D5100 for a very short time, which has the same sensor as the D7000. The dynamic range is better at base ISO and it is a little bit cleaner. At higher ISO there is virtually no difference (however, Ming Thein writes in his review of the OM-D, that the OM-D is a little bit better at high ISO than the D7000). In my opinion the differences concerning image quality are so small that it doesn't make sense to prefer one of these cameras to the other. If one wants a significantly better sensor, choosing full frame will be much more efficient.

I have kept my Fuji X100S because it is, frankly, brilliant. I ditched the XE-1 Fuji and gone back to full frame Canon (6D)

If I had got the X100S first, I would never have gone for the XE-1. Having just come back from Australia after 2 months, I became increasingly frustrated with the XE-1 and how I failed to cope with the tiny buttons with my PD Tremor. It drove me nuts, which ain't good for the main camera. So, back to the heavier 6d....ah.......bliss. I can hold it steady when shooting and button fiddling.

The XE-1 was a lovely camera and if not for my PD I would still have it. It just wasn't worth it for my blood pressure.

I have kept my Fuji X100S because it is, frankly, brilliant. I ditched the XE-1 Fuji and gone back to full frame Canon (6D)

If I had got the X100S first, I would never have gone for the XE-1. Having just come back from Australia after 2 months, I became increasingly frustrated with the XE-1 and how I failed to cope with the tiny buttons with my PD Tremor. It drove me nuts, which ain't good for the main camera. So, back to the heavier 6d....ah.......bliss. I can hold it steady when shooting and button fiddling.

The XE-1 was a lovely camera and if not for my PD I would still have it. It just wasn't worth it for my blood pressure.

Yikes, Pete... don't think I knew you were a PD person! In which case your shots deserve even more kudos, brilliant work with your X100s... I can't imagine even trying to work with something without stabilisation if I had a PD tremor.

I have always had a DSLR as the IQ can't be beat and now I have full frame it's hard to find a small camera that comes anywhere near close. The Sigma DP's are the closest so far....well actually for detail they still beat the full frame cameras!

Sadly once you have had one of these cameras it's hard looking at images from anything else. Any sensor smaller than APS-C and i'm pretty well not interested. I took my GF1 away with me this week end to see if it would be good enough for my holiday to Florida and well...it's not really. The images came out reasonable but not great. SO I'm now looking for something small with a zoom and APS-C!?!?! But what?

FF revisited

Apart from the GAS this thread has induced I also looked out a few of my 5D mk2 files. What a fool ! I should have left well alone.
_MG_6705.jpg

Mirrorless with APS-C sensors are fine but anything smaller then things start to get a bit iffy. On the face of it they are all good but it's when you pixel peep (I'm not proud! LOL) things don't look so good. Also theres more info to edit with full frame images, or at least you can do more with the RAW files.

DXO claim that they can get a further 25%ish from a raw file than anyone else so if the camera is supported by them this may be the Raw editor of choice for some. Can't wait to use it with my 6D files!!

For me IQ is really important. I'm getting a GF6 soon so it will be interesting to see how well this does. If I could have a GF6/GX7 sized mirrorless camera with a full frame sensor and a huge lens choice like Canon have then I'd deff go for it but it aint gonna happen any time soon. Saying this I was told of the NEX9!!

Mirrorless with APS-C sensors are fine but anything smaller then things start to get a bit iffy. On the face of it they are all good but it's when you pixel peep (I'm not proud! LOL) things don't look so good.

Sorry don't accept that at all. Plenty of evidence that M43 sensor in E-M5 trashes some APS and is competitive with the best up to ISO 3200. And that the improvement goes up at least another stop, maybe two,with the E-M1. Ming Thien says best M43 pixel level sharpness is not far behind a Nikon D600.

Also theres more info to edit with full frame images, or at least you can do more with the RAW files.

Two edged sword. More pixels means your technique and lenses have to be even better than smaller MP counts otherwise you lose out at pixel level with blurring from not-good-enough optics or camera shake.

DXO claim that they can get a further 25%ish from a raw file than anyone else so if the camera is supported by them this may be the Raw editor of choice for some. Can't wait to use it with my 6D files!!

For me IQ is really important. I'm getting a GF6 soon so it will be interesting to see how well this does. If I could have a GF6/GX7 sized mirrorless camera with a full frame sensor and a huge lens choice like Canon have then I'd deff go for it but it aint gonna happen any time soon. Saying this I was told of the NEX9!!

So you want combo of a sardine tin thin camera with a wine bottle lens?

I'm reading this thread while staring balefully at my dining table, with it's mound of Nikon DSLRs and huge honking lenses piled up on it. Not quite sure when or how it all happened.

It started with someone gifting me a D800e, and then I came across a couple of Nikon lenses listed here (on SC). I discovered the D800e was more camera than I wanted (or could handle) being finicky and spitting out gargantuan files that my computer processed grudgingly. So I bought a D700 (!) to get around that little problem.

And then I thought waitaminnit, maybe what the D800e needed was some stability (the sensor on the D800 picks up the minutest of camera shake), and that resulted in the three tripods with various ball heads and geared heads currently surrounding my dining table (2 Manfrottos and an off brand tripod), like silent sentinels keeping watch over the rest of my gear. Then I needed something to carry the darn things in. Bought a Lowepro Event Messenger. Then promptly bought a Thinktank Retrospective 30, because... well, just because. A Manfrotto Junior Geared Head immediately followed along with a sensor cleaning kit and cabled remote triggers (two triggers, one for each bag). Some filters, a host of high-end CF cards (I never had any since my small cameras took SD cards).

During all this, Ricoh released the GR. #%#%@! Which is exactly the camera that I should have bought in the first place, and is all the camera I need!

I hate my life.

I hate my life.

You own enough money to buy very expensive gear, three tripods, and finally the camera you should have bought instead. Having problems like that means, that you are one of the most privileged humans on this planed. You should not hate your life.

I read Boids post as tongue in cheek. he also started by saying the d800e was gifted. When it was sold, it was certainly enough money to buy all the rest of the stuff :)

The search for the right gear isn't about money. It's about finding the right tool for the shooter and finding a "Satisfied Mind" (this one's one of my all-time favorites.....any time I get down, it picks me back up...puts me back on track).....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aL_tjt1JM2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You own enough money to buy very expensive gear, three tripods, and finally the camera you should have bought instead. Having problems like that means, that you are one of the most privileged humans on this planed. You should not hate your life.

The post was decidedly with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Though the existential angst expressed is real enough. :)

Let's say just I'm unhappy with my "camera life". Which is always just one gadget away from a cure!

I read Boids post as tongue in cheek. he also started by saying the d800e was gifted. When it was sold, it was certainly enough money to buy all the rest of the stuff :)

You got it. But I can't really sell the D800e. It's a gift!

The search for the right gear isn't about money. It's about finding the right tool for the shooter and finding a "Satisfied Mind" (this one's one of my all-time favorites.....any time I get down, it picks me back up...puts me back on track).....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aL_tjt1JM2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Luke, what I gathered from that is that I have to lose all my money to have a 'satisfied mind'. Hmmm... since there isn't much to lose, I should be done by tomorrow.

But there's something to be said for simplifying gear. It lends a lot of clarity. Right now I'm the most confused I've ever been, photography wise.

Back