Any 12.9-Inch iPad Pro Users?

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
My wife's iPad (actually my original iPad 2) is dying. I've been running an iPad Air 2 since 2015. Best Buy had the new 64gb iPad Pro 12.9-inch model on sale at a $100 discount. So I picked one up for her. I was a bit concerned about the weight, given she has some arthritis. But the weight wasn't a problem. The size was. She feels it's much to big for her. Okay, fine.

I offered to exchange it for either a 10.5-inch iPad Pro or even a base 9.7-inch iPad. She says my current iPad Air 2 (which works fine) would be enough and that I should either keep the 12.9-inch iPad or exchange it for what I want.

So my question is, is anyone here using the 12.9-inch iPad? Any thoughts? How does the size work out in real life?

I currently do all of my photo and digital editing on the my 2012 iMac (which, surprisingly, works fine after five years - thank the i7 chip and 8gb of RAM). The word is that the iPad Pro is now as powerful as Apple's MacBook Pro laptops and that photo editing is now much more feasible, especially with the larger screen real estate.

Of course, that would probably mean swapping the 64gb model for at least the 256gb model. It's funny, my iMac has a full terrabyte of storage. But, even with 10-thousand photos and 8-thousand songs in my iTunes library, I have used up only about 190gb on the hard drive.

I like the idea of a 12.9-inch screen on an iPad... but I can still do my editing on my iMac. Perhaps I should swap out the larger iPad Pro for the 10.5-inch model with more storage - just to have a better iPad - and leave it at that.

Or I could max out an iPad Pro with the 12.9-inch screen for the inevitable day when the iMac goes. Specing a new iMac an i7 chip, 16gb of ram and either a fusion drive or SSD ain't cheap these days. I can't do it for amywhere near the price I did in 2012.

Any input is welcome.

Last edited:
I envy your decision... I really want a 12.9” iPad Pro, I do 99% of my editing on my Air 2, and my eyes are getting so they dont see details they need to, the larger screen real estate would be wonderful. It might be a bit much if you wanted to be portable with it, though, that is HUGE. If I had one it would live on my table and never leave the house. I have a Mini 4 for that. More storage space would be a must as far as I can see. I’ve been looking at the 512GB model. $1700 here in Oz, and then you need to add a keyboard case (well, I would, I’ve had keyboard cases for ipads ever since my 3) and Apple Pencil. Its an expensive proposition. And then, next year, a new one will be released. What you need to do (as do I) is go to a store where you can see them side by side and handle them. Maybe a 10.5” would be enough, especially if you still plan to edit on the iMac. The iOS software for photo editing is getting pretty sophisticated now, though...

I guess I havent helped at all, only showed my own indecision.

Well, the decision was made. I took the 12.9-inch iPad Pro back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a 10.5-inch version. My wife gets my iPad Air 2.

I think I may have indeed been onto something in terms of the larger screen being better for reading small print and editing photos. So it can be an option for Sue or anyone else if that's your priority.

But I don't think I was going to use either for photo editing (at least not consistently) or as a laptop replacement - another thing the 12.9-inch version would be great for (with more storage than I had).

I'm going to use it as an iPad and for that the 10.5-inch version is much better - at least for me. Even a friend of mine who is built like an NFL linebacker had the 12.9 and swapped it for the 10.5. If he thinks it's too big for general tablet use then there's got to be something to it.

Last edited:
Back