Canon Another nice G15 review

Yeah, it's all about the eye, isn't it? I wish I could be satisfied with that level of gear - I've spent weeks shooting with just an LX5 or LX7 and been happy with them. Strip away the fancy gear and it's just us and our vision. But I'm afraid once I've shot with more forgiving and powerful sensors, it's really tough to go back. You can't keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen the bright lights of the city... I'm totally guilty. I still like going out with just a fixed lens pocket camera and seeing what I can find, but now that pocket camera is the Nikon A with it's APS sensor and really fine DR and low light capabilities and that's a really different kettle of fish than something like a G15 or LX7...

-Ray

True and I use larger camera's for most of my photography, but I have more fun with smaller compacts, but now that smaller compacts have big sensors... I think the Coolpix A, GR or X100s in in the cards for spring. I'm interested to see how you like the DF. It interests me because it is smaller than a dslr, but functions much like one response wise.

What I'd really love to have happen is Pentax make something in a K-Mount that uses all their little primes and has a view finder. Call it the M-X something or other, make it look like and M-X and I'd be all over that. I don't like Nikon and Canon's modern primes with the focus motor in the lens, they get to big for my tastes. Also I'll admit that I'm one of those that appreciate metal over plastic. I come from a family that made handcrafted items for a living, so I appreciate things built well and understand that that things with high manufacturing touch will cost more. I have no problem with seeing the value in the Leica lenses and understand why they cost more. I think the closest thing to the build quality of the Leica lenses at a price I can afford are things like the Pentax fa-31 and so on.

That said, I think there are a couple of older lenses that I think I would like on the DF, just not the generation they are selling it with. It's a modern plastic fantastic on a retro camera. That breaks the aesthetics for me. On the other hand I should only look at the output, but I'm human and it's a hobby, so I'm going to buy what I enjoy for not only the output, but the experience of using it as well.

Back