Nikon Showcase An update and some quick pictures with my new D5100

Scythe

Rookie
First off, thanks for everyone's help picking out a camera, you've all been great.

Last night my mom brought her home, and she's a beauty. sitting in the box before I got to open it.

So, after I got home from school today I took her out of the box with my mom's permission the day before. Still not sure if I get to just play with it this weekend, or if I get to try it out now and then I "get it get it" at Christmas.

Anyway, some quick test shots. Didn't have the VR on with the kit lens since the battery was under-charged from the factory and I've only had the camera out of the box now for < one and a half hours. They've got some blur, the default minimum shutter speed is 1/30th, which is a bit slow for 55mm hand-held without VR :|

Anyway, here's some quick first shots from the back deck.

DSC_0007.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0006.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0005.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0004.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0003.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0002.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(is there a quick way to convert a bunch of flickr links into BBcode to show the images?

Anyway, samples are full-res OOC shots; I already love this camera.

1. Display the picture in flickr,
2. click on the Share button,
3. select "Grab the HTML/BBCode",
4. select the size and check the BBCode option,
5. copy the code then paste into Serious Compacts.

Do it a couple of times and it only takes a couple of seconds. flickr will remember the your previous selection of share/code/size options so it then becomes just a couple of easy steps.

1. Display the picture in flickr,
2. click on the Share button,
3. select "Grab the HTML/BBCode",
4. select the size and check the BBCode option,
5. copy the code then paste into Serious Compacts.

Do it a couple of times and it only takes a couple of seconds. flickr will remember the your previous selection of share/code/size options so it then becomes just a couple of easy steps.

Awesome, thanks.

Scythe-

Congratulations on the new camera! I hear the 5100 is quite an awesome little DSLR!

I took the liberty of looking at the EXIF info on most of your test photos in Flickr, and the aperture on the lens was set on F22 on all of them. That's REALLY REALLY high. The photos were all taken in the aperture priority mode. So you probably should decrease the aperture. If you decrease the aperture to the lens' maximum aperture of F3.5 at 18mm (or is it 17mm) and F5.6 at 55mm, your shutter speed will increase dramatically to the point that you won't need the VR (under the same lighting conditions) to be able to take photos free from hand induced blur.

Looking forward to seeing lots of your photos! Congrats!

Nice first set of shots there. Looks like you have some nice surroundings to photograph.

I have the D90 and have only had it a few weeks and I'm really liking it. Enjoy your D5100, it's a great camera!

@Ghosthunter, yes! I had set it to spot metering since that's what I usually use for my photography class, but it seems I'll need to jump over to matrix or center-weighted average for landscapes.

The kit 18-55 is actually really nice too (aside from the plastic mount), 18 is much wider than any lens I've ever used before (disclaimer: my photography class uses cheapo P&S's, whatever canon's ~$150 digital Elph model is right now/past generation; and I only really do macro with those because of the constraints of a P&S and Dynamic range) I can't wait for snow this year and fall next year though, the foliage up here is always amazing, and we already have some snow, more will come soon ;)

Scythe, congratulations!!

Here's a handy thread about posting images in threads:https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/ in the Site Information forum - Peter likes the BBcode - and you'd think I would since that is my first name;), however I prefer the HTML code grab method. There are some other handy threads in that Site Information forum, as well.

I'm looking forward to being part of your journey...by seeing more of your photographs as you and your D5100 get to know each other, Scythe! :drink:

P.S. Where do you live when you refer to "up here"? If you feel comfortable, it would be quite helpful if you'd add your location - generally speaking - to your profile so that it would show up in your posts...not mandatory by any means, but handy. You can also add your Flickrstream to your signature line, if you'd like. :th_salute:

Ah, New Hampshire - the state whose license plate has the best saying ever "Live Free or Die"! I hope you've still got that on those plates, Scythe. Whenever I have seen a New Hampshire license plate, I have always felt good.

I look forward to seeing more from around your neck o' the woods!

Heh, well, I'm 15. No license plates for me yet ;) If you'd like, I can get you a picture of my parent's 06 mustang, it's very, uhh... Well, it's a nice red ;) You'll love the license plate, too ^_^

Wow....15. I envy the early start you're getting in photography. If I had any advice to give after just starting to get into photography myself around a year ago it would be to shoot as much as possible. Not just spraying shots around randomly, but kinda just become good friends with your camera and when you see something you like (or something you have a unique vision of) just shoot it. Try every button on your camera, and every mode. Try not to take a shot from a standing position for a whole month. Learning photography is fun, but if go beyond it and learn to see the world in new ways, it will be even better. I haven't gotten good at photography yet, but I am definitely looking at the world from different angles and seeing things as i have never have before.

Good luck and keep posting.

I started at 12 or 14 not sure(now 65). First shots were with the Brownie 620 box with "hair pin" shutter. Down for one shot, up for the next. 8 shots per roll. I took a roll and sent it to Fox Photo for processing. They sent the pics back with a fresh roll of film for $0.65. $0.65 was hard to come up with for a kid, when a man worked all day (not 8 hours)on the farm, for $4.00. A roll of film had to last. No rapid fire!
Times have changed. I will now shoot 200-400 shots at an event, but on my own time, out and about I may only take 1 or2. Or may take a dozen or so. Trying to make every shot count. I don't enjoy wading through a bunch of trash, to find a good one, worth keeping.

Get a good publication, such as Outdoor Photographer or some other that features the subject you are most intrested in, and study the masters. Not so much the equipment used but the "art of seeing" through the cameras "eye".

Over 50 years of "just for fun", and it is still fun and sometimes very satisfying.

It is a wonderful hobby, ENJOY!

aaaaaaaaaaand a few other landscape shots walking back form the neighbor's after putting the Mustang away

View attachment 44655
DSC_0024.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr
View attachment 44656
DSC_0023.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr
View attachment 44657
DSC_0022.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr
View attachment 44658
DSC_0021.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr
View attachment 44659
DSC_0020.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr
View attachment 44660
DSC_0019.jpg by Scythels, on Flickr