Fuji An open monologue, a rant, and a question

Great feedback from everyone. Thanks, I really appreciate the amount of thought put into your responses.

Upon heavy consideration, I think I'm going the X100 + S100/LX5 route...even considering something less serious like one of those ridiculous Nikon super zooms (S9100). The Nikon N65 w/ 50mm will serve as backup.

I never ever considered the m43 system... especially after reading the video quality of the new Panasonic GH2 out performing the 5DMIII:
[Video] Canon 5DM3 Video Beat By Panasonic GH2?

But, since the whole point of traveling lightly is to leave the glass at home and roam the foreign streets with nothing more than a big fanny pack (read: small bag), I think the alluring nature of the X100 and a decent zoom compact will fill the void.

I will say however, though researching the X100, I did find some beautiful other cameras in the process. Many I would love to bring, but alas, would cause me to go on all sorts of tangents best served in another forum. But in all I saw, none were as beautiful as the following Konica Minolta Hexar AF:

Konica-Hexar-Limited-brown.jpg

Holy crap, what a sexy camera.

Pictures and stories to come,

Ollie

Only two weeks in Australia. I brought my DSLR and a few lenses and my Canon G12. I mostly used the G12 for convenience. It has a zoom so I could take wide angle to tele which is the only reason I sent the GRD back because I loved that little camera. I learned from people before I left that you are there to enjoy the vacation, photographing it [take a small notebook so you don't forget what you did each day] is important but you should take time to enjoy too. Insure the gear before you go [particularly if it's new you will have receipts] because some items will be left in the hotel while you are out as well as tourists = easy pickings. It's not expensive to insure.

I regret not taking my dad's Minolta rangefinder given me. I was afraid it would be stolen or lost but to say it went from Korea to Japan to USA to Australia would have been cool. So yes I am digging on the Konica up there. I have a Konica Autoreflex, Full/Half.. good way to stretch film LOL.

[take a small notebook so you don't forget what you did each day]

Analog memories.

I love that idea.

A small tangent, but a relevant one. With every conference I go to for work, there's always a select few who specialize in visual note taking... it's like capturing the scene with pictures. It's the closet thing to taking pictures of an event without a camera. Check out these great notes from Ogilvy (an ad agency) from when I attended the 2011 interactive SXSW portion:
Ogilvy Notes These guys would stand up next to the keynote speaker drafting these murals live was the speaker was speaking - pretty damn cool.

I'd love to be able to illustrate my travels this way.

If that's not enough, here's Core77's intro to visual note taking:

Sketchnotes 101: The Basics of Visual Note-taking - Core77

Otse,
If you are thinking about bringing a film camera, can I offer two suggestions? If you want something small, think about an Olympus XA or XA2. If you don't want to worry about batteries, think about an Olympus Trip 35.

I'm taking a trip to Europe this June and haven't decided on a digital camera to bring (but am reading the posts on this site to get ideas) but I will probably be bringing an Olympus film camera with me as well.

I will say however, though researching the X100, I did find some beautiful other cameras in the process. Many I would love to bring, but alas, would cause me to go on all sorts of tangents best served in another forum. But in all I saw, none were as beautiful as the following Konica Minolta Hexar AF:

View attachment 3153

Holy crap, what a sexy camera.

Pictures and stories to come,

Ollie

I have the Hexar as I stated in your other thread. In my film says I carried it on extended trips and it performed flawlessly. IMHO the single focal length made me work harder and be more creative. It is the reason that the first digital camera I fell in love with was my GRD.
Nowadays I would the Hexar a bit large and heavy; I've gotten spoiled.

Nikon V1 plus their kit lenses 10 30mm and 30 110mm or there is a 10mm prime ......... perm 1, 2, or all three
– (sensor size = 2.7x focal length multiplier versus FF sensor)
adaptor FT1
Nikon 70 300 f4.5/5.6 VR Zoom - smallish but with the 2.7x focal length multiplier you can then go up to 810mm at f5.6
or the Nikon J1 if you want to keep the cost down
If you want you could then take your DSLR Body

should pack to a reasonable size

@otse - First, I'm so jealous of your trip!!! I wish I could pull something off like that.

Second, have a wonderful and safe trip!

Last, but not least, as for a recommended travel light camera, the X10 is an awesome versatile camera that should cover just about everything you may want to do, other than long telephoto stuff.

The X10 is certainly no DSLR quality when it comes to IQ, and it doesn't produce the "pop" that X100 images have. But the X10 is very good for a small sensor camera -- better than my Canon S90 for sure. The X10 does well at low light, has a snappy and accurate auto focus, does macro, does panorama (very easy to do), does high speed, and even does some shallow DOF at the long end (which can be enhanced via in camera processing).

Another advantage of the X10 is the inexpensive battery, even if you buy the OEM battery. And the charger for the X10 is not one of those that requires a stupid cord.

Just my 2 cents!

Congrats Otse! Practice a lot before you go so you don't waste time on figuring the camera out and can enjoy--or at least bring the manual.

LOL! I was about to weigh in on the joys of owning an XZ-1... but I saw the post just in time. However, perhaps an X-10 or XZ-1 could be on the agenda, too.

Sue, after being one of those attracted to an unbelievable (truly) offer yesterday to buy the XZ-1 (offer vaporized), I'm still considering the camera. Any wisdom you'd like to share would be appreciated! Thanks.

Are you also able to take a second camera, perhaps with a wide zoom? If you have something like a S90/95/100 or the LX5, you can fill a lot of gaps that the X100 won't reach. I'm a big fan of the combination of one large sensor prime camera and one small sensor camera, with zoom if possible.

Good luck with your trip! Remember to show us photographs when you return!

Last year I went to India to see friends I had not seen for 20+years, I wanted to travel light so took the X100 and the GX1+3 lenses.

This proved to be a great combo and gave me the security of knowing I had a back up if either camera had an issue, both performed flawlessly but my most used setup was the GX1+45-175X lens (I know the X100 offers better IQ).

For those interested parties you can see the results from both cameras on my blogsite postings here:
571 Photography: Fuji X100 - India
571 Photography: GX1 does Taj Mahal and Delhi
571 Photography: GX1 in India (Hyderabad)

I'd take the Panasonic GX-1 with PL25/1.4 and as zoom option the Panny 14-45. I've shot this camera for about 7 months and got 16K shots on it. It never let me down. User Interface is brilliant, so is touchscreen. Smart little bounceable pop-up flash. Good low light IQ, great normal light IQ. Best AF on any mirrorless (don't let people tell you otherwise, it's as fast as E-M5 in good light, much faster in low light, and more accurate all the time. Face detection works great. The PL25/1.4 is among the very best optics available, all brands included. The GX-1 is small (like my NEX 7) but dense and lovely.
Obvious question, why don't I own one anymore if it's that insanely good ? Because I'm a shallow DOF nevropath. But unless you're one too, unless you'd sell your sick old mom for a small more squeeze of extra blur (like me), don't worry about it. The 25/1.4 is good enough for decent subject isolation, or you can have the 45/1.8 if it floats your boat (but having had both I very strongly recommennd the former). The 14-45 is much better than it has any right too, and goes for about 180$ used.
I have NEX cameras now (the 7 now after the 5N and 6) and the IQ is fantastic, but if I were embarking on your journey, I think I'd want to trust the GX-1. Icing on the cake, it's awful cheap.

Back