Fuji Amazon (US) has the X-Pro1, 35/1.4 and 18/2 in stock!!!

Twas never a question of if, only when. As I now realize was probably true of me too, as well as I had myself fooled for a while there...

-Ray

Yes, it is your destiny Ray. I'm glad you have finally accepted it. Just like Luke did ... Skywalker that is.

B&H has it too. Affiliate link to B&H is in my sig. Thanks everyone for helping to support the site costs by using these affiliate links!

My local camera shop has 6 in stock as of today. Plus the lenses, grip, flash etc. they've also got a few NEX7s. Supply chain must be improving.

Gordon

Yeah, it looks like its everywhere in great numbers now. Almost a glut! I thought I was really getting a jump, but it looks like I was about half a day to a day before they were EVERYWHERE. Although it was funny - I stopped into B&H yesterday shortly after they opened to get a bag that fit (the Domke I had with me is too small unless the X-Pro and extra lens are ALL I want to carry). I had the X-Pro around my neck and all of the sales folks were checking it out and asking me questions about it. They hadn't seen one yet. And by late yesterday they were filling their pre-orders and had a bunch of them in stock on their web-site and, I presume, in store.

I'm glad I got it. The only part of my calculation that's changed is if I decide I don't love it over time, I'm not likely to be able to sell it without taking a bit of a hit - its not like the X-100 where anyone who had one in the first few months could sell it for full value or even turn a profit if they were inclined to. I doubt I'd have wanted to anyway, particularly seeing how it handled low light shooting last night. The game has really changed. Extreme low light shooting (no tripod, reasonably fast shutter speeds) was pretty much not possible until recently and then only with pretty top end DSLRs. Now its in the X-Pro with others not far behind. The Nex looks quite good, the Canon G1X looks like it handles high ISO really well but for the slowish lens. I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon, but I'll be interested in how the EM5 stacks up once its really out there in the general public. The X100 and GXR were "good enough", but the X-Pro 1 appears to be that much better. Out shooting last night with the camera on ISO 6400 and the 35mm opened up to f 1.4, it was just shooting, without a lot of thought of how dark it was. I was so giddy I forgot to take any real photographs, but it was cool - now I just have to learn to use it effectively. AF was quite good in those very very low light conditions BTW. It had to hunt a couple of times when I didn't have anything contrasty enough in the focus box, but for the most part it locked on quickly and accurately.

-Ray

Ray, at low light, did you have the AF assist light on or off? Was there a noticeable difference in AF speed, lock-on rates, and accuracy rates using the AF assist vs. not using it? With your photography, I am assuming that you probably don't use the AF assist light.

Nope, I had it off. I wasn't shooting at close enough distances for it to have helped much anyway for the most part. I think the AF on this camera is quite good, at least on the 35 and 18mm lenses. It's no DSLR or, in good light, m43 (although in low light I'd say both it and the x100 are now better than the current Oly cameras - the EM5 may raise that bar), but if not for the X100's bad reputation for AF, I don't think anyone would have raised concerns. The 60mm may be a different story, of course - I don't know if it's supposed to always be slow or just in macro mode?

-Ray

Back