AF problems on Tamron 18-270

Julien

Top Veteran
Name
Julien
Don't know if it's the right forum for this but:

I've had some AF problems with my Tammy 18-270 for a short while, and since yesterday it seems like it's gone for good. It hunts forever and never acquires any target, even the most "contrasty" ones I can point it to (be it moving or static subjects). I've used alcohol to clean up the contacts on the mount (lens and camera) to no effect. The lens itself seems clean and hasn't fallen or anything.

Manual focusing works ok but isn't exactly practical for my use. Stabilisation works fine. It's been out of warranty for a while. Any suggestion?

That's a bummer. Sorry to hear that. Is that the newest version with the PZD focus motor? Which camera is that for? Canon or Nikon? I'd suggest contacting Tamron, even if it's out of warranty.

It's the old version for F mount (Nikon). But warranty in Europe works differently than the rest of the world anyway: it's usually 1 year, never more than 2, no matter the manufacturer. International warranties like Tamron's work everywhere *except* in Europe, where we have "European Warranty'.

More information here for anyone interested: Tamron Europe: European Guarantee Card

I will contact Tamron to see what they offer.

Forgot to mention than the lens has come back from Tamron and they apparently changed the whole AF motor "thing". I haven't had the chance to really use it as I've been sick and in bed a good part of the week but if anything I'd say the AF is a bit faster than before. Anyway, will try to add a couple pics to the "Show Birds" thead in the coming days :)

Back