Adobe Releases Public Beta of Lightroom 4.

For any of you who've been trying out this beta version - have you tried their new Book module as previewed here: /www.dpreview.com/articles/7481161037/lightroom-4-public-beta-whats-new/3 and, if so, what do you think? Ray...anyone else who's a Blurb experienced publisher?

This seems as though it will finally be the "help" I need to finally put together some books.

My apologies flash. Of course the LR4Beta catalogue will open in LR4. What I was trying to say is that since LR3 catalogues will not open in LR4Beta when LR4 is released if you have been using individual images in LR4Beta that are also in your LR3 catalogue or importing from your LR3 catalogue you will end up with duplicates of the images in question. Which, if not a huge problem, is a little untidy.

Easy fix.

When the full version of 4 is available, convert your old catalogue. Then open the beta and write XMP files. Open the new version again and get it to read from the XMP files. Done.

Gordon

For any of you who've been trying out this beta version - have you tried their new Book module as previewed here: /www.dpreview.com/articles/7481161037/lightroom-4-public-beta-whats-new/3 and, if so, what do you think? Ray...anyone else who's a Blurb experienced publisher?

This seems as though it will finally be the "help" I need to finally put together some books.

Looks cool Wylie

For me soft proofing and the new editing is equally important, I think LR4 is a great release, if only they would add layers from PhotoShop.
I think it will come its just a matter of time

I'm wondering if this Beta LR 4 will be coming out soon. Next question is will it be at an upgradeable price for those of us with the most recent versions of Lightroom 3? How does that usually work, you all who are old hands at this stuff?

The Beta versions of previous editions have run for 3-4 months so that would put final release around April or May. For existing users there is a reduced upgrade price. I can't remember exactly but I think that for the move to 3 the upgrade was $100 and for new users the full price was $300.

Hmm I think I'll just buy whichever version is current at the student's price, just before I graduate somewhere in the coming months :) untill then, I'm quite happy using LR4 beta. I wish the auto tone would affect more than just exposure (it undoubtedly will in the final version), but so far that's the only thing I'm missing...

Of course, it doesn't necessarily follow that Adobe will follow the same procedure for upgraders this time around but given their recent PR disaster over upgrades I suspect they won't do anything stupid.

Back