Ricoh Acmaxx Lens Protector

dcsang

Rookie
Name
Dave
Hi folks,

I recently snagged a GR for myself (to go along with my Sony A7) and I was looking at the Acmaxx lens and LCD protectors that are available via ebay.

Out of curiosity, if anyone has been using the lens protector, have you noted any issues with your images (that is, smearing of colours, lack of crispness, or such)?
I'm considering getting one but am unsure since it looks to be "plastic" (can anyone confirm this?) - the ebay listing states "crystal" but I have my doubts.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,
Dave

Worth every penny, and easy to keep clean. I have one on my GR and another on my X-F1. It saved the lens on my GRD3 when I drove over it.

Don't hesitate.

Sent from another Galaxy

As Bill says they are excellent.
I've always bought from a US Ebay seller as I couldn't find them over here!
Very similar quality to Giottos' products.

Edit... I have the LCD Protector only never fancied the look of the lens thingy.

I always buy ACMAXX LCD protectors for my cameras. They are on all the screens. They are lot bigger in depth but they just work forever. I've been thinking of the lens protector and on Bill's recommendation perhaps the time has come to invest in one.

LouisB

Thanks folks,

I figure the LCD one is a given considering the history of the GR cameras and the lens one, while "spendy" is probably a good idea considering some reports of dust etc. Sure it doesn't make the camera "dust proof" but it will help. The only reason I would put them on this camera is because it goes so easily into a pocket that there's always a chance of dust and jostling around.

Cheers,
Dave

AC MAXX are the best screen protectors ive used. period. my A7 has one for the LCD as well.

I use the one on my GR, its simply brilliant, no dust problem and can take the camera to the beach without worrying too much. It doesnt affect the IQ at all.

go for it. worth every penny.

OK, I did buy the lens protector but I have now removed it because it interferes with my wide angle adapter. Shame but there it is. Has anyone else had the same experience?

LouisB

Bill

That is interesting. With the protector on I cannot get the housing on properly in the correct position, although I can get it on in the incorrect position (sorry it is difficult to describe this). What is more when I power up the camera the lens seems to hunt back and forth without the ability to focus. I assumed that there must be some problem with internal reflections or something which was stopping it working. Since removing the protector everything works fine. Very strange it works on your camera but not on mine.

When you say 'adapter and hood' do you mean including the wide-angle lens?

Maybe I did not position the protector correctly. It was perhaps a tad off centre.

Louis

Hi Louis, I don't have the wideangle lens, just the adaptor and hood. I use it often. I'm a bit at sixes and sevens at the moment - not had a chance to unpack from Moscow yet - ut as soon as I get the chance I'll fit the adaptor an look critically at the clearance.

Sent from another Galaxy

Hey Louis if it helps i dont have the GW3 wide angle lens but i do have the hood and tube, which i bought to "weather seal" the camera, so i added a UV filter in the front thread inside the hood and the front filter still works without a problem.

They are not as good as they used to be and not glass (at least the LCD protector). I have found a cheap substitute that works well.

Back