A visual on where all those Tweets and Flickr photos are located: NY Times Bits

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
The New York Times Bits Blog: Business * Innovation * Technology * Society section has this today: Bits Pics: Showing the Location of Tweets and Flickr Photos - NYTimes.com

Have you ever wondered where people are located when they post on Twitter or take a digital photo? Eric Fischer, a programmer and designer, recently answered this question by creating a series of maps showing people’s location when they send a Twitter message or upload a photo to Flickr, the photo-sharing Web site.

The data visualization series is called “See something or say something,” and according to Mr. Fischer’s Twitter feed, uses Twitter and Flickr’s A.P.I., or application programming interface, to figure out the location and times of each photo or message. He then plots it on a map.

In the map images, Mr. Fischer chose orange dots to illustrate the location of photos uploaded to Flickr, the blue dots show Twitter messages and the white dots are the location of both services being used at the same time.

Kind of cool, I think.:cool:

P.S. Here is a nice handy direct link to Mr. Fisher's Flickr set for his growing collection: See something or say something - a set on Flickr Look at them in the big slide show on black background method, and I think you'll be amazed.

Back