A sneaking suspicion about dynamic range . . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Never let it be said that ol' Jock was too quick on the trigger, that his blinding flashes of insight leapfrogged him ahead of the class. No sirree. Let's say instead that, given enough time and some encouragement, that Jock will eventually come plodding along and possibly catch up with the group or -- failing that -- at least keep it in sight.

Yesterday, I took the shot below.

K5 tele test 019-001.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I can't tell you how many times I've taken a very similar shot . . . but it's a potload. And for the first time ever, I feel like this image does a pretty decent job of capturing the sense of depth in the forest. Further, I think the reason is the changes in the subtleties of the light filtering through the trees . . . and the fact that the sensor on the K-5 IIS managed to capture those subtleties.

And I think maybe what drives the whole process is dynamic range. If you look at the DXOmark camera database, you'll see that, in terms of dynamic range, the K-5 IIS is ranked 16th overall (including full frame and larger format sensors), and that the only APS-C camera that outstrips the K-5 IIS is the Nikon D7200.

So here's the working theory: the ability to capture a wide range of tones from dark to light, and all the variations in between, helps to trick the brain into seeing depth in a 2-D representation of a 3-D scene. Conversely, with less dynamic range, you have fewer visual cues, so the image looks flatter.

Does that sound about right to you? Or do I need to go back and repeat remedial photographic theory?

Cheers, Jock

I'm certainly not an expert myself, Jock, but I think your description is an accurate assessment of DR. It's also one of the reasons I didn't keep the FZ2500. It did not have the ability to deliver that feeling of depth that even μ4/3 has.

Back