A possibly interesting (Sub)Forum idea..

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
Given the community of S.C come from all over... what about creating a permanent Photo Request thread? What I am suggesting is that some of us have never seen, for instance, the Grand Canyon or the Eiffel Tower or the Berlin Wall.. etc. While it is great to see what other people post, when they post it, is it possible to make a Photo Request thread where you can say, hey.. anyone been to see the Blue Mountains in Australia or the Mayan temples at Chichen Itza and if so can you post a few shots type thing. It would be a way for us to more interactively share and while I realize some requests might not be fulfilled via demographics.. I would bet that a lot of them could. Opinions anyone? Amin? Did I have too much birthday wine? :D

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately it's going to be two years before I'm living anywhere interesting again but I would have lots of requests.

Sounds like fun. Unfortunately it's going to be two years before I'm living anywhere interesting again but I would have lots of requests.

I don't know that we all live in interesting places as much as we live in different places [which can still be interesting to others] and sometimes we have even vacationed to interesting places and can offer images up. It's an idea that seems novel.. but I wanted to see what people thought of it.

Btw.. in two years where is it that you'll be living that will be 'interesting'?

Well that's the interesting part - we don't know yet! We should know by the autumn of this year. It could be anywhere - we're leaning towards SE Asia or back to the Balkans but it's not entirely down to us so it could be neither of those.

It does sound like fun, but I don't know if it would work. For example, if someone wanted to see something from Boston, I probably wouldn't see the request. I guess we could PM with the request and post in the thread...

Feel free to start off the thread, Kristen - we'll see how it goes! And happy birthday!

Can't you already do this with Google maps?

To some extent I suppose you can see whatever you want on google maps or even look up photos online. In fact, with that being said, none of us need to take any photos short of special events. But then where is the fun in that ;)

It does sound like fun, but I don't know if it would work. For example, if someone wanted to see something from Boston, I probably wouldn't see the request. I guess we could PM with the request and post in the thread...

Feel free to start off the thread, Kristen - we'll see how it goes! And happy birthday!

Thanks for the Happy B-Day Amin. I was thinking.. someone would post, "Anyone have photos of the Basilica's in Rome" type thing and then people could reply with quote and offer up images if they have taken any. You get a more unique view of places when they aren't professionally staged shots, you know the kind that make Hollywood walk of fame look glamorously isolated when it's really a lot more gritty in person. More like.. an embellished sidewalk that anyone can walk on. So you could see a real place with real goings on there and not a scene necessarily devoid of people shot at some unusual hour for publicity purposes. You can see it through the eyes of the photographer living or visiting there.

But.. maybe it would be like the other image threads people start, you know like Show Cars or Show Horses.. only harder. I was thinking of a permanent spot in the forum but maybe that's a bit too complex. Will have to think on it or maybe more people will reply with ideas.

I dunno, I think its a great idea, but it would need an entire forum to itself, because if it were all in one thread, things would get lost nearly right away. So the structure would be something like
Image Forums --> Image Threads --> Photo Requests
And then each request would start a new thread. That way, many people who have taken photographs of the location requested could add, and it wouldnt end up mixed in with everything else... so in the case of Amin's worry about not seeing it... you'd see it if it were a new thread, as opposed to something in a long generic thread.
So:
Photo Requests --> Boston Common
Photo Requests --> Newport, RI

etc.

One thread? nope. it would just be a schemozzle.

I dunno, I think its a great idea, but it would need an entire forum to itself, because if it were all in one thread, things would get lost nearly right away. So the structure would be something like
Image Forums --> Image Threads --> Photo Requests
And then each request would start a new thread. That way, many people who have taken photographs of the location requested could add, and it wouldnt end up mixed in with everything else... so in the case of Amin's worry about not seeing it... you'd see it if it were a new thread, as opposed to something in a long generic thread.
So:
Photo Requests --> Boston Common
Photo Requests --> Newport, RI

etc.

One thread? nope. it would just be a schemozzle.

I expected a sub forum, i used the wrong term [thread], but that was why I more directly asked Amin to see if it was.. even prudent or if it was too out in left field to be worth it. I know it isn't easy for him to create new subs and structure all that so it would be a matter of justifying worth vs effort. If enough people showed interest it might be worth it and then it could perhaps be considered.

I'm coming out of my gas induced depression and thinking more photographically speaking now and it just came to mind that it might be fun. Even handy for those that travel. =)

I think it's a great idea. Travel and photography, my two favourite hobbies!

Any pics of Moscow anyone? I'm travelling there soon and would love to see it through serious compact eyes before I go!

Great idea! It would be best to have its own forum (or subforum). People can then start a thread with a specific point of interest identified in that thread. And whomever has photos of that particular point of interest can post it there. Great idea Isoterica!!

I think it's a great idea. Travel and photography, my two favourite hobbies!

Any pics of Moscow anyone? I'm travelling there soon and would love to see it through serious compact eyes before I go!

Precisely! For those that travel it would be a great way to see things before hand or to be shown things they should not miss. For those that don't or can't travel so easily, a way to see these places through the eyes of those that have been. People could even put a little blurb about the images here and there for more info. Like a community travelogue.

It was a red sangria, nicely sweet, good with an italian dinner and I didn't have a lot. But sometimes with meds any is too much and I think that was my last celebration of anything with a glass of anything alcoholic. I might take one sip for salutations but that's it because the acid stomach a day later is so not worth it. Never was a drinker, never could be ;) But do you like the travelogue idea Luke or was that your silent poo-poo of the idea?

Btw never any photos because I am the only one that takes them. My husband will to show me things when he is out of town, my daughter will when we go out on walks, but no one really does when I do because.. I'm doing it, or so they say. No witnesses.. ha!

I like this idea very much - before I went to Marrakech I put out a request for anyone with Moroccan pics. I cannot comprehend the Grand Canyon and would love to see more shots that help with scale. I'd also like to see Norwegian landscape, Trans Siberian Railway and as usual, just about anything from India.

Go for it.

I love the idea. I have seen a few instances of it on the forum already. I remember Heather asking for the Moroccan photos. I'm not sure having a dedicated sub-forum for it would help much. I think people come here every day or every couple days and catch up on stuff they missed.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask if someone has some shots of the Pyramids at Giza (I think luckypenguin has some) or Heather's request of anything from India (Boid should post more anyways, but I'm sure others could add more). If anyone wants any ridiculously shots of Milwaukee, I'd be ahppy to track it down and shoot it.

I think if you de a request in the travel section and someone has some shots, it will be answered in a few days. It's definitely a cool idea.

Back