Leica A New Arrival

Hap

Top Veteran
It hurt....mostly in the wallet. But, I finally took the plunge and bought a M240. However, now that the dirty deed is done I need to switch mental gears and anticipate the joy of use when it arrives.

I've been watching a number of you guys buy and sell some very expensive cameras and lenses, seemingly without batting an eye. I fretted that I should buy a Df or PEN F....fine cameras, and save $$. In the end could not tolerate the siren song of digital M and I don't even own LR.

Now, guilt reduction by sale of one or more film M's would help. Perhaps you will chime in.
CL
CLE
M3
M4P
M5

My choice right now is save the CLE and M5. Blow out the rest....but maybe not M4 P.
Keep the Summicron C40 or sell with the CL?

Tough choice!

From my (European) POV, I'd say: sell the CLE.

Reason: it's too scarce (in Europe) — if it develops electronic failure, I guess you'll have to send it to Japan, or USA perhaps — and then it becomes really costly. Or a paper weight …

I kept my M3, sold an M2 and a Nikon SP. Sell the body and lens separately- more people shooting digital pay a premium for lenses.

Agree with the CLE- in good working order, good electronics- will bring a premium.

Hi
These responses are interesting....and are not quite what I anticipated.
The argument of electronics dependency is often made with certain cameras, like CLE, Hexar, and even M5...suggesting that I dump CLE and M5 on certain grounds. However, since both work perfectly and I find the automated or battery dependent functions valuable...ie Aperture exposure auto (CLE) and unique metering (M5), not anxious to get rid of them. CLE finder is one of the best of all M mount cameras I've used. Great form factor. I guess if it broke, then it's sort of worthless. the argument that I should extract maximum return for a pristine CLE has merit in some respects.

The argument for M4 P is the variety of choice with frame lines....which is also the argument against.

M3...a classic and great finder. Although certainly not rare.

CL...great in working condition,or even without meter. But the meter is a real plus if it is accurate. not meter dependent but I use when it's around.

The argument of electronics dependency is often made with certain cameras, like CLE, Hexar, and even M5...suggesting that I dump CLE and M5 on certain grounds. However, since both work perfectly and I find the automated or battery dependent functions valuable...ie Aperture exposure auto (CLE) and unique metering (M5), not anxious to get rid of them. CLE finder is one of the best of all M mount cameras I've used. Great form factor. I guess if it broke, then it's sort of worthless. the argument that I should extract maximum return for a pristine CLE has merit in some respects.

Allegedly, there are repairers (in Japan, probably) who can handle the CLE electronics — one has just to find and bring to them a working Minolta XG-something, and they sacrifice the innards — this would do the trick, unless it's an urban legend. Sounds a bit like wizardry, but I don't know, perhaps it's true …

A CLE...is worth , I don't know.....400 USD? The costs and the trouble to send to Japan could easily get close to that. The decision to keep or sell , is kind of related to the pleasure derived now...from using. At my age...not using is tantamount to losing....if you know what I mean :)

Hap, congrats on the M240 purchase! I just had an afternoon and evening of shooting one yesterday. It's a superb camera. I really think you'll bond with it, a true "M" camera with only the real gains of digital and no fluff.

Seeing some guys shoot film and digital, I'd say keep the one film camera that you enjoy the most. Life's too short. Sometime later figure out later if you sometimes miss shooting film, and if not maybe then sell that one film camera.

Don't worry about it breaking. Unless there's a real high chance of the cost of that exceeds the joy you get using camera, take the chance.

I do have another M5 I could do a lateral trade and add some money for the M5 you have. This one was also serviced by Sherry, is a later 3-lug (one of the last) and works perfectly, but cosmetically isn't as nice (faded paint labels, some wear (graying) of the finish. I can send pics later. I'd be willing to trade my M5 + $300 for your M5, which I know well as it used to be mine.

Hi Carl
I love owning and shooting the M5, but I admit to GAS as well as finding joy in picking up a film camera that I haven't touched in a while, putting a roll of film into it, and shooting. I have a special penchant for little 35 compacts, Minox ML, Rollei 35, Olympus XA4 and Fuji Natura, Oly mju.....

What I should sell ...is my Hasselblad Stellar. A great camera derived from rx100 v1. But it is not identical. Hasselblad engineers tweaked the firmware for their own purposes. I found out when I tried update the firmware from Sony which did not work. After contacting Hasselblad USA, they confessed to making it un updateable. The Sony rx100 series is really very good and the new ones are fabulous....pocket rockets.

Alas, even though I did not pay a kings ransom for the Stellar, I still paid more than I should .

<...> Alas, even though I did not pay a kings ransom for the Stellar, I still paid more than I should .

I too have a 'guilty pleasure' camera purchase that I'm waiting on the final pieces before an unveil. Also no king's ransom, but also more than I should have! Great camera as-is, but patience ...

I too have a 'guilty pleasure' camera purchase that I'm waiting on the final pieces before an unveil. Also no king's ransom, but also more than I should have! Great camera as-is, but patience ...

Now you have us going!!

I don't expect my M240 to arrive until mid week....so not yet distracted from other decision making. I appreciate all the input...including the imprecation to "live with guilt"....a form of procrastination with which I am very familiar. I realize that I could easily live without 90 percent or more than the cameras I"ve accrued. However, I've never experienced the possible liberation of actually dumping. the Nikon 1V1 stays because I have no other camera that shoots as fast or can track or AF faster....and it is not worth much on the market (yes, and it did convince me that 10MP is pretty darn good). The D7100 stays because another great workhorse camera and no use getting rid of unless so go the F mount lenses and Fm3A.

Olympus TG4----well how to live without at least one waterproof camera that shoots RAW 16MP and has unbelievable macro?

Notice...no decision on M mount cameras yet:) It's really hard to sell any Leica camera one originally bought and pledged to keep, fully aware that such a pledge foolish.

Must be getting close. Just in case your mind slipped off it for split second. Hah!

Last piece of "guilty pleasure" is coming in Thursday ... :D

Back