Leica A 35mm Summicron ASPH which isn't very sharp

carlb

All-Pro
I'm thinking about having a 35mm Summicron ASPH sent somewhere for evaluation and possible adjustment. The fine detail just doesn't seem to be there. RF focus, or EVF and focus peaking.

Any ideas for names/places?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don Goldberg and Sherry at Golden Touch usually come to mind. Aspheric optics are tricky to compute, to make, and to keep in spec.

Why don't you try sending it to Leica with a polite explanation? Or email first, and get a commitment from them.

Chances are very good that if it is some sort of assembly or manufacturing defect, they will fix it for free. Or at least at a minimum price.

Are you the original owner? 6 bit coded or not? To your knowledge has it ever been dropped or mishandled? If you shine an LED flashlight through the elements, can you see any flaws, haze or fungus? You will almost definitely see a little dust......this is nothing. But if you see any haze, etc, the problem is serious.

I vouch for Don Goldberg as I have used his services over the years. I have not yet tried sending a lens to Sherry Krauter. For such a costly lens, I would also consider sending it to Leica.

DAG is excellent. I love him but he takes forever. But you are almost certain to get back a perfect repair.

I refuse to use Sherry Krauter because of a camera show incident that happened years ago. I have posted about it on another forum. I won't repeat it but I found she was extremely partial to certain WWII symbols which I find abhorrent.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. My wallet is recuperating after a few repair bills and my son's stolen car. When it recovers a bit, I'll send it in.

Mr. Valdemar, I bought it used. No six-bit coding, and no obvious signs of being dropped. But looking closely, the detail is just not there. And that's with focus peaking on the M240.

I'd still give it a shot at sending it to Leica. The worst that could happen is that they give you an estimate that you could refuse if it was too high. The best scenario would be a free repair.

Back