Fuji Have I got SAB and does it ever rectify itself?

johnwillyums

Rookie
Name
John Williams (check out my pics on G+)
Hi folks. After a lot of thought and research I finally bought a Fuji X100 about 5 weeks ago. I put the latest firmware on it (1.21) straight way.
I've been very pleased with the results and have been using the auto bracketing feature to make HDR images. So far I've only taken about 500 pictures
About a week or ten days ago I started to notice that some of my triple bracketed images were drastically over exposed. They were virtually black and useless to me.
I also noticed that some of my bracketed images appear to all have the same exposure rather that +1 -1 EV.
Yesterday I took about 8 triple exposures of a certain subject and two of the sets were black. I also noticed that the EVF would not function at one point. I could see through the OVF but could not activate the EVF.
I've examined the camera at home and can visually see it stopping down.
So this seems to be an intermittent problem.

My question is, could this stickiness clear itself with use or will it just get worse? Should I send the camera back now or wait and see if it rectifies itself?

Thanks in advance, John

SAB causes over exposure so you would expect blown images rather than black. I would suggest doing a menu reset and then shooting a few pictures at the default settings, if the problems still exist send it back to Fuji. Fuji UK have a very quick turn around and you need to contact them first to get a free postage box.

Thanks very much for your reply greyelm. As you say, the images should be blown out rather than black. I'm wondering whether this is connected to my inability to use the EVF the other day. Could it be the shutter sticking?
Mind you, if I examine the black frames closely I can just make out the subject in places where there was a lot of light. It's as if only the highlights remain and the rest is burnt out.
I shall certainly do as you say and reset the menu, plus I shall give it a bit longer, to see if the problem persists, before contacting Fuji UK.
I'm glad to hear they have a swift turnaround, I've grown very fond of this camera:)
Thanks very much for your input, John

Be sure to keep us updated John, there's a heap of experiences relating to this camera....I think most of us has had an X100 go through our hands :blush:

You might even consider loading the images up to the gallery for some members to pixel peep and analyze the EXIF data to try to troubleshoot.

Can I do that Luke. These files are 69.8MB each?
I've had several recurrences of the dark images since I last posted and a few where all three exposures are exactly the same.
I have also had the majority turn out alright.
Very weird:)

Back